balling method

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by reef_guru, Dec 29, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I only read the one that ZachB posted, I have not read the one that you posted yet. Whats a jag anyways? Luna

2. Click Here!

3. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

I did wonder about that site as they mentioned copper as a trace element, not exactly something you want.

4. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

im starting to get this now - i think. Its method to constantly provide a water change? I guess making your tank almost self sufficient?

5. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

nsw has copper, alot of it is bad with corals in a reef aquarium. all sea salts have some copper, some sea salts are better than others.

6. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

your getting there, do me a favor read the sites that myself and zachB posted.

im waiting for matt to chime in

7. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

Oh dear - i feel like a kid in school ;D

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

lol, its all part of the hobby

10. Froc3

Froc3 Fire Goby

It's what you learned in grade 10 chemisty. Quite simply - it is school. Pretty much the basis of grade 10 chem. In Canada anyways. Measuring concentrations and adding based on molar masses and solutions based on mol/L concentrations. Great read, but seems to be a fairly obvious approach and don't know if it's worth having a guy's name behind it, but glad to see that the REAL chemistry of upkeep on an aquarium is being put to use. I have a similar setup going using pure chemicals attained through my university... Maybe we can call it the Froc method :p Keep reading guys, this is the true foundation of the chemistry behind your aquariums. One thing i've found is that using those drip bags that they use in hospitals for intravenuous medications work great for adding chemicals to your aquarium using concentrated liquids. They let you adjust the drip rate fairly well.

11. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

A lot of this is bringing back memories. It's interesting to understand the basis of how everything works and how each element balances and compliments each other in your tank.

I think I'm going to try and put this method to use.

12. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

ive been in the process of switching over to the froc method,lol

maybe matt can make this a sticky, hopefully we get more to chime in
    we havent even begun to discuss it yet since some are just starting to understand the method

Last edited: Jan 3, 2009