balling method

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by reef_guru, Dec 29, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

2. Click Here!

3. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

it seems overly complicated to me - just reading the article turned the hobby from fun to a chore

4. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

its not bad if you read all the websites posted on this thread and do your homework, i dont know a saltwater tank that doesnt involve some type of maintenance,upkeep,research,or complication, especially if you have corals. learning about saltwater aquariums can be fun.

5. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

that's kind of what I was thinking. Once you read a bit more it is nowhere near as complicated as the initial article you posted. I still dose daily, why not do it with something that's more complete.

6. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

I read it and yep, too complicated(for me). When it gets to the "A Chemistry Primer, or How to Weigh an Atom" part, I get lost. I add ESV parts one and two, when my pH goes lower than 8.1 to keep it 8.3, I wrote on the bottle how many capfuls of part one, at 7.9, 8.0, 8.1 and 8.2, that it would take to get it to 8.3, and usually when the pH gets to 8.1 it means I add 2 capfuls of the part 2. I add Mg when I see small amounts of white on the back of the glass, means it need Mg. I test now about once a month and haven't done a water change yet.

7. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

After reading the article that ZachB posted, let me see if I got this right. Basiclly your just turning a manual dosing method into an automatic one. Am I right? Luna

8. Click Here!

9. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

without sounding like a jag, did you read any of the sites? but to answer your question with a really simple short answer, yes.

10. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

cuttingras:

this method works for high or low demand of elements and is a very simple easy to use method. has been used overseas with many tanks.
    for instance: on your tank, you know what or not to add by measuring and do just that appropriately, this method does it for you along with other added benefits.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2009
  11. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

Basically, yes. However, if I'm understanding correctly after my initial readings, it simplifies dosing many, many different trace elements into 3 parts. You don't necessarily dose each on a daily basis, just the solution that you need. It seems more beneficial as your tank will have more trace elements and adds fresh water at the same time.

"Using a total of six different trace element solution Heinz incorporates NaCl Free Salt, UltraMinS and the following elements:
    • Barium
    • Strontium
    • Cobalt
    • Copper
    • Zinc
    • Nickel
    • Chromium
    • Iron
    • Potassium
    • Iodine"

reef_guru, have you seen these?

http://www.ecosystemaquarium.com/products/additives/balling-method.html