Ballast question on Aqua Medic Ocean light

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by Matt Rogers, Sep 20, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Hey all - I've been eyeing this Aqua Medic Ocean Light (150w halide + T5) for my nano.

Question is which ballast should I get? It has options for one that is 150w (Reeflex) and one that is 175w(Icecap) - the latter is odd to me as it is higher wattage than the halide bulb. Not sure what to make of that. What do you think?

Aqua Medic Metal Halide + T5 Ocean Light Fixture Details

Edit - hmm, the Reeflex ballast looks nice:
    http://www.marinedepot.com/Aqua_Med...-Aqua_Medic_USA-AQ6813-FILTACBAMHHFMB-vi.html

2. Click Here!

3. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I was looking at that Aqua Medic lights when I was looking at MH lighting and didn't like the ballasts too much. They are magnetic, which isn't a huge deal for most, but I don't like the fact that they run hotter and are less efficient. I also looked at the enclosure and figured that if it has it's own fan, it must get pretty hot. That's why I prefer electronic ballasts, but if you're not too worried bout either of those two issues, then I would go with the Reeflux.

I also don't get why they would offer a 175w ballast for a 150w light. It may slightly overdrive it.

1 person likes this.
  4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Nice catch. k+ I really wish I had a smaller nose sometimes.
    Magnetic eh? They still make those? ;)
    And a fan. I hate fans and noise. Funny the lamp does not need a fan - that attracted me to it.
    EDIT - I just read the description on the Reeflex - they sure can sell it... just not sure if I am buying that. (Anyone use a Reeflex?)

Well... I am still up in the air a bit... any more feedback would be appreciated.

matt

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Got this reply from MarineDepot just now - if I want 150w I have to go with the Reeflex. The 175w ballast would come with a 175w bulb. So it looks like Reeflex if I stick with this - I can't seem to find a review on this ballast - anyone have one or been around one that could tell me if it is loud?

matt

6. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

sorry matt, no experience here with reeflex :-/

I am however a tried and true icecap fan (will be the ONLY ballast I use for the duration of my halide years)
    Only downfall, the only companies that make 175w DE halide bulbs are the ones you really want to stay away from (bulbs are terrible)! Over driving a 150w DE to 175w (on icecap ballasts) is not recommended because it will be truly overdriving the bulb (at 185w). You will reduce the life of the bulb by maybe 2-3 months and it will always run at a lower CCT. There is a fire risk involved in this also.

The 150w HQI ballast made by icecap still drives the bulbs at 166w so it still gets a bit extra power out of them.
    icecap 150w ballast - Google Product Search

as a side note, the 150w DE radium + icecap ballast = one of the most GORGEOUS combos i have ever seen!

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Thanks for feedback Trent - I'd love to go with an icecap...
    Looking at the light at Marinedepot again - I see that I can order it without a ballast...

Perhaps I can then use an Icecap like this one:
    IceCap 150W Metal Halide HQI Ballast - AquaCave

Question - is it safe to assume the light cord will attach to this ballast without issue or modification?

matt

8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Hold the phone...

Just got this from Aqua-Medic:

Now I am swinging the other way again! :)

lol Help.

matt

10. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

Matt, one small issue I have with the quote is that the magnetic ballasts wont always have higher PAR (cheap brands). you will always get higher PAR with the nice magnetic ballasts like an M80, however you will also use substantially more energy to power the bulbs as such... but it will make the light much whiter than an electronic ballast. Its up to you Matt, but I have already weighed the pros and cons between the two and I personally feel the electronics are better...

Also you were asking about the wiring. You wont have to adapt anything, just wire like this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    yours will probably be the same, connect blue and yellow to the bulb cord and the white and black and green (ground) to the cord for the outlet. very easy to wire.

11. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Wow this is tough. Whiter light is nice. Not sure what kind of ballasts are in the Reeflex though.

All the same, thanks for the help - especially with the wiring.

I am teetering. :p

12. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

all tests done with XM 15k DE bulb:

Icecap- PAR at 24"= 33, kelvin= 14182, power consumption= 172w, amps= 1.46, efficiency= 0.1948
    PFO M81 (same type as aquamedic)- PAR at 24"= 30, Kelvin= 11004, power consumption= 181w, amps= 1.62, efficiency= 0.1707

1 person likes this.