Ballast & Bulb Question

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by Fishez, Oct 18, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Fishez

Fishez Bristle Worm

Im going to order a PFO Dual 175W Pulse start ballast and Im not sure what kind of bulb I need, Does it have to be a pulse start bulb or does it matter? Does the PFO ballast come with the cords that go to the bulb socket or are those sold separately ? As always thanks for any info.

2. Click Here!

3. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

"ALL BALLASTS REQUIRE RETROFIT SOCKET MOUNTING HARDWARE, PENDANTS, OR COMPLETE HOODS" Quote from the two paces that I see selling them
    "Pulse-start metal halide ballasts are recommended for use with German made Ushio & Radium bulbs."
    another quote from a lighting place.
    "Do I need a Pulse Start Ballast?
    Pulse start ballasts are needed to fire up certain German bulbs: 175W and 400W Ushio 10,000K, and both 250W and 400W Radium 20,000Ks. The standard magnetic ballast will not properly ignite these bulbs. Pulse-start metal halide ballasts are designed specifically to ignite pulse-start lamps. The ignitor starts the lamp and the ballasts' core and coil operates the lamp, allowing for optimization of both lamp and ballast performance." end of quotes and hope this helps.
    Now IMO a pulse start ballast will not harm a non pulse start lamp but the reverse is not true.
    If you lived close enough to me I'd give you a non pulse lamp to try out that theory.
    Jim