Ball valve question.

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Zgetman, Jul 29, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Zgetman

Zgetman Ritteri Anemone

I have a problem. I originally had a brass needle valve to turn my water on to my filtration, but it started leaking so I switched over to this plastic ball valve. As you can see from the picture it is leaking. I took it apart and there did not seem to be any damage to the o-ring or anything else. I do not want to drive 50 miles to return this thing and I was wondering if there is a fix that would work?
    [​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. RoloSaez

RoloSaez Millepora

50 MILES? That's a bit of a drive. How does it come apart? Have you called to see if they can ship you out a new one via mail since it's faulty?

4. Roccus

Roccus Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

"O" rings don't always look bad or have a tear and still leak, some have flat spots... you can try buying an "O" ring selection at the local hard ware store... the casting in the valve may have a slight defect, barely noticeable to the naked eye...most hardware and big box stores ( Lowes and Home depot carry those valves..

5. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Thats unusual since those valves are rated for 125 psi working pressure in most cases. Must have got a bad one.

6. Zgetman

Zgetman Ritteri Anemone

Yeah, 50 miles, I live in Dumas Tx, and the nearest Lowes or Home Depot is in Amarillo, Tx.

I bought this at Lowes, and I don't have the receipt any more, and I do not want to spend the 8 bucks for another.

I actually thought of buying a slightly fatter o-ring to put in it. Would that possibly work?

7. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

They are throw aways and not rebuildable.

Do you have a small hardware store or something like Tractor Supply or a plumbing supply closer? I much prefer stores like Ace and True Value to the big box stores anyway.

8. Click Here!

9. Roccus

Roccus Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

you are defiantly in a rough spot... 50 miles is a hike for a $8 part... most likely there is a defect in the casting... a fatter ring might work but as stated above they are "throw a way's". Lowes is pretty good about taking things back on a straight exchange.. they (usually) know their products and accept exchanges no questions asked... call the store and tell them your [problem...a phone call is cheap...

10. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

You don't need a receipt to return it to Lowes.Just your DL.;)

11. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

12. Pickupman66

Pickupman66 Tassled File Fish

amazon prime.. and TSC wont carry these. Heck my home depot dont either. only the lowes.

I hate to hear it for u.