Balance alk and Calc.

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by new2salt2, Mar 29, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

They say submerged bio balls in the sump help with a nitrate issue.
    I used a rubbermaid 14 gallon tube for a refugium so I don't see why you could not use one for a sump. just need an overflow and a way to get it to the sump. Put a filter sock on the end of the drain pipe and a pump to send the water back to the tank and wala you are ready.

2. Click Here!

3. new2salt2

new2salt2 Fire Shrimp

test results
    SG 1.022
    PH 8.3 not sure, but color looks like it might be going up.
    alk 5 down .6
    calc about 580. have trouble getting the exact time turns to blue. maybe down a bit

amonia .25
    trate 20

this was 2 hours after water top off.

i got some drawings froma guy to help me with sump. he designed it and told me the pump to buy. just gotta find a good price for the acrylic dividers.

it seems to be going down, but ever soooo slowly.

4. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

What live stock do you have in the tank?
    I am sorry I forgot.
    You have tested the top off water before you added it?

5. new2salt2

new2salt2 Fire Shrimp

have 3 damsles and 2 clowns.  yes tested top off with 0 trate, trite and amonia.  Ph 8.0 and less than about 50 calc PPM

also tested to day with
    trate at 5 now down
    amonia at .25
    trite 0
    ph 8.4 seems to be going up.. kinda gettin worried..
    SG 1.022
    Ca 575
    alk 5

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I forget, when you say your alk is 5, are you saying 5 KH? or 5 meq/L.

7. new2salt2

new2salt2 Fire Shrimp

using the Lamotte test getting a reading of 250 then dividing it by 50 . i think that is the MEQ/L. reading. but that is how i got that number.

just caught one of my damsels nipping at my poor polyps that are not opening now.. lol.. cant win for nothing!!!

8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

It's very strange to me that both your alk and calcium readings are very high. :huh:

10. szogun

szogun Feather Duster

IMO you should stop dosing anything and wait till the ammonia and than the nitrite goes down this can take some time I would say wait 1 month and don't do big water changes I would say 5% - 10% a week max.

I think your tank is defenetly in the middle of cycle. I dont know whats the reason maybe you added some livestock lately. What I'm trying to say is "SLOW DOWN"

11. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

[quote author=Matt Rogers link=board=Water;num=1080608869;start=30#36 date=04/05/04 at 13:32:51]It's very strange to me that both your alk and calcium readings are very high.  :huh:[/quote]

Matt he was doing water changes every 3 to 4 days.
    We decides not to add anything for awhile.

12. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

[quote author=new2salt2 link=board=Water;num=1080608869;start=30#33 date=04/05/04 at 08:25:29]have 3 damsles and 2 clowns.  yes tested top off with 0 trate, trite and amonia.  Ph 8.0 and less than about 50 calc PPM

also tested to day with
    trate at 5 now down
    amonia at .25
    trite 0
    ph 8.4 seems to be going up.. kinda gettin worried..
    SG 1.022
    Ca 575
    alk 5

[/quote]

8.4 pH is perfect.
    Your Nitrates are going down now so we are looking way better then we were last week.

Still not NOT do any water changes with mixed up saltwater. If you do a water change just make sure it has no salt mix in it. Plain RO/DI would be best. small amounts like 1 gallon a day.

5 x 2.8 = 14 DKH so this is high still but not real dangerous yet. Once we get cal and alk down some your corals will open.

Keep us posted.