Balance alk and Calc.

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by new2salt2, Mar 29, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. new2salt2

new2salt2 Fire Shrimp

if what i have been told and under stand.. when your alk is with in perameters then your calcium should be ther too is this right. Since one will go up and lower the other is it possible to have one within range and other way out of whack?

if no then if you measure alk and find it in range . no test on calc would be needed and vice versa. am i right?

2. Click Here!

3. NUGIO

NUGIO Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

No ... if it were that way you wouldnt need to test for both.  one or the other can be high or low.In my case the ALK was @10.8 and the CA 330ppm too low. I added turbo calcium and it jumped to 365ppm and the ALK took a dip to 10.0.Im going to start adding a two part CA/ALK additive like Nautilus suggested

4. new2salt2

new2salt2 Fire Shrimp

k reason i ask is becasue i have a alk of 14 and calc level after water change 7 times in 2 weeks still at 575 . i raised my alk and noticed green residue on rocks.. probably lime now

5. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Hiya new2salt2,

Try a different Calc test kit.

OmarD

6. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

[quote author=new2salt2 link=board=Water;num=1080608869;start=0#2 date=03/30/04 at 02:15:37]k reason i ask is becasue i have a alk of 14 and calc level after  water change 7 times in 2 weeks still at 575 .  i raised my alk and noticed green residue on rocks.. probably lime now[/quote]

How are you dosing the cal and alk?
    And Nugio is right and is you read the other kalk thread it will have the link for the page of alk and cal issues and sorry I can't post it right now but don't have everything setup yet on this computer.

Right now you need to let things sit and watch them drop into normal ranges or do some water changes. but I would just sit and watch them drop downwards and don't add anything.

7. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Are you using RO/DI water? and what is the TDS reading of the finish product (water).?
    If not using RO/DI then the kalk and tap water is what is producing the green stuff on your rocks.

8. Click Here!

9. new2salt2

new2salt2 Fire Shrimp

i am not too concerned now with the calc levels. i got it from good source that my range is ok as long and alk is within range. i only use DI water for now, but am going to start buying RO water from walmart. i do not does calc and have not in a few weeks. it just goes over 500-575 with ever water change regardless of amount i change it with.

i just thought if alk was in range than other would be too.

10. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

OK
    You should be concerned with the Calcium levels with 575 being way high. If you are not adding Kalk or some other supplement then I would have to say this is a test kit issue.
    Also your ALK is high and needs to drop.

Buying water from LFS or walmart can run you some $ so I would think about getting an ro/di unit and there are some really good ones out there that are reasonable for the pocket book.

here is the link from Randy:
    http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/chem.htm

11. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

If the test kit is correct then both your ALK and Calcium levels are out of wack.

12. new2salt2

new2salt2 Fire Shrimp

i was told my levels would be ok. i use LaMotte test kits is it likely they are bad?  was told very very very good things about them.  have used test kit on LFS water with 450 results and tested tap water with 100 results prior to filter.  so i am sure kit is fine.. i think problem lays with salt mix, but just ran out so ill know with next water change.

i am sure water will cost me some $$ i think here walmart sells fro .35 cents a gallon. but considering cost of waste water i think ill be winning in the end.