Baking soda as a buffer???

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by troythegreat, Apr 11, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. TritonsGarden

TritonsGarden 3reef Sponsor

I think the washing soda is Sodium Carbonate which raises PH.
    Regular baking soda is Sodium Bicarboniate which does not raise PH.

The act of baking regular baking soda converts Sodium Bicarbonate to Sodium Carbonate i.e. the same thing as washing soda.

Jack

Last edited: Jun 1, 2009
  2. Click Here!

3. troythegreat

troythegreat Astrea Snail

hmmmmm.......and what will happen if i use Baking Soda without the borate part, what will be the long term effect??....because i see most commercial buffers have borate in it, Baking soda does not

4. ibefishy

ibefishy Montipora Capricornis

I dont want to get off track but I remember reading somewhere that baking soad can also make a cyno outbreak worse. I dont remember where but, I will do some research and see if I can find the article. I have been dealing with a cyno outbreak for a while and have been using baking soda. I just picked up some Kent buffer and am going to see if there is a difference over the next few weeks

5. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Kent buffer is different from baking soda. Baking soda is sodium bicarbonate which lowers PH. Baked baking soda is sodium carbonate which is the same thing in commerical buffers like Kent(with borat salts added). It will raise alk and PH. If someone says baking soda "causes" cyano ... I don't think it would help but I don't think one could say it's the root cause. Sodium carbonate can be purchased in the laundry section in the grocery store...

Either is still acceptable means of raising alk. The lowering of PH with baking soda is so minimal I don't think it really matters much unless you're having a problem keeping it up.
    And actually baking it yourself if silly since you can just buy a box of sodium carbonate for about 2-3$.

Reef Chemistry Calculator

6. chinita

chinita Astrea Snail

My alkalinity sometimes drop at 6 or 7. Since my ph is at around 8.4, I used baking soda to raise my alkalinity. About 2 tablespoon of regular baking soda will raise my alkalinity to 1.5 in 65g tank. I also have baked baking soda, but I don't use this since my pH is already high. This supplement will raise your pH. Regular baking soda will lower your pH. I've read somewhere else that although regular baking soda will lower pH temporarily eventually it will go back to normal pH.

7. troythegreat

troythegreat Astrea Snail

cool, well i think it sounds safe enough to use sodium carbonate without the borate added, i was just wondering when commercial buffers add borate......and if i reallly need it. i cant find it where i live