bad news and good news & help needed

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by supratt, Oct 15, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. supratt

supratt Fire Shrimp

well heres basicaly whats happening...
    Im 15 so just affording the hobby is hard enough. I have a 72 gallon bowfront and its in my room. 2 days ago I had a small flood and just major problems with the sheer size of the tank. Me and my mom talked it over and I do agree with her that I should get a smaller tank. With the size of my room I was thinking on getting a 40 gallon breeder, also Ide like it to be a small reef.

The good news is I REALLY like the 40 breeder and it think it would be in the budget but I do need some help if I do this. please help any oppinion is better than none.

This is the supplies list I came up with... tell me if theres anything missing.
    1. 40 gallon breeder
    2. stand
    3. 20 gallon long (for sump/fuge)
    4. 300w heater from old tank
    5. digital therm.
    6. old water pump (rio 2100+.. too much?)
    7. checkvalve
    8. remora protein skimmer
    9. internal overflow
    10. odyssea 36" 4xbulb t5 pro
    11. durso?
    12 2x koralia 2's

also how much do you think I could get for a 72 bow, stand, sump, refugium, live sand, 48" 4x 54w t5 odyssea pro model, overflow, current fissian proteinskimmer, UZ sterolize with broken bulb.

Thanks so much for the help

2. Click Here!

3. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

tell me about it.. im 16, its pretty hard to get enough money lol.

the list of supplies sounds good to me. Do you have an ro/di unit? or planning on getting one?

ill say about 400-600 dollars

4. supratt

supratt Fire Shrimp

haha someone who finally knows what I mean lol. But ya thanks I forgot to add an RO-DI unit. $500 dollars Is great. thanks for the help

5. salsalito25

salsalito25 Stylophora

I have one question for ya... WHats material is your check valve made of ( Metal- PVC)..?

Now with selling off all the stuff.. Check out all around your LFS's somtimes they will buy it off you or sell it for you but (you will be loosing $$ that way if they sell it for you) Other thing is check craig's list and try and price compare so you not over pricing your stuff.. And you can sell things seperatly easier that you can as a group or a set up...

BEst of Luck...

6. supratt

supratt Fire Shrimp

ya the checkvalve will be a plastic or pvc one
    but ya you think the store would trade my setup for a 40b setup?

7. oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1 Fire Squid

40 breeders are awsome tanks! I would list it on cl for about 650 OBO and see what happens. The thing with craigslist is you always get low balled! so start high! Also you could part it out! Probably make more money parting it out.