Bad Algae Problem, HELP ID PLEASE!!!

Discussion in 'Algae' started by lawenforcer, Mar 1, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. lawenforcer

lawenforcer Plankton

I am having major problems with this algae that is pictured below. I am not sure what it is but I am sure its not good at all and dont know what to do. I am new to all this and it is driving me nuts. Please help, I am lost and scared I am going to lose my tank. Thanks for any help...

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. Reeron

Reeron Blue Ringed Angel

Looks like plain old cyano to me. More of a nuisance than actually harmful (unless it's overgrowing coral, then it can kill them as they struggle for nutrients and light).

You (most likely) have a phosphate issue either from over feeding, impure water (not RO/DI water), or phosphate leaching from your rocks. The best way to get rid of it is one or more of the following:

Use only RO/DI water that you have tested to have 0 TDS.
    Get some GFO and use it either in a power filter or a reactor.
    Cut down on the amount you feed. Over feeding is usually the #1 reason for nuisance algae problems. When I had fish I fed twice a week, and except for Green Chromis, they all lived at least 5 years. Not that 5 years is all that impressive, but it does illustrate that feeding twice a week is not starving your livestock.