bacterial infection ???

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by Kyfishguy, Dec 26, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kyfishguy

Kyfishguy Astrea Snail

Greg@lionfishlair,

Remember my post about the foxface a couple weeks ago? Well I think its spreading. Can it spread?

Let's assume I have some kinda internal bacterial infection going on in my tank causing fish to not eat and eventually perish.

All of my fish are in a dedicated 55 gallon QT being treated with cupramine as I write this to eradicate ich and velvet. (I decided to start using the QT route)

That being said I have 2 75 gallons that are fishless at the moment. Running as usual waiting for the 72 days to pass.

Now if I buy:
    Maracyn Plus

Bacteria & Fungus Medication: Mardel Maracyn Plus at Foster & Smith Aquatics

Should I treat both the 75s with no fish in them? Can this bacterial infection live in a tank without fish for 72 days? Will this medication harm my new live rock I just got from floridaliverock.com?

Before treating the 55 gallon I've read I should remove the copper first with a nice water change and carbon.

Please help,
    Jerry

I sent this message to greg but it acts like it didn't send. Just gonna cover my butt and make a thread about it. Anyone can chime in please.

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Questions:

What are the types of other fish?
    Do they have any physical manifestations ie: Pinched abdomens, loss of color....spots, lesions?

Can you please post an image of the fish.

Please clarify, you are treating for either Marine Ich and or Velvet? What are those signs and symptoms?

Why do you think it's bacterial?

4. Kyfishguy

Kyfishguy Astrea Snail

I think it's bacterial because the foxface turned pale white and hid in the rockwork for days until I finally had to put him down. Next came my maroon clownfish. He seemed to develop velvet out of no where but I am uncertain whether it was ich or velvet, even his eye was covered with some kinda fuzzy white junk. Next came one of my chromis he is hiding up in the top corner of the tank with no signs of velvet or ich and won't eat. I just fed them earlier everyone ate except my half black angel and chromis. Now I think my angel has it whatever it is. This is what has sparked this thread/message.

I need help with the questions I asked. I'd rather treat them then sit back and wonder wth is going on.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  5. Corailline

To get Greg's attention I have left a link to this thread on his profile page. You can also try sending him a private message, or in the future edit the title of your thread to include his name.

I sent this message to greg but it acts like it didn't send. Just gonna cover my butt and make a thread about it. Anyone can chime in please.

[I]I need help with the questions I asked. I'd rather treat them then sit back and wonder wth is going on.[/I]

To treat effectively and safely you need to have some idea of the pathogen, hence the reason for the questions I posted.

An image of your Angel would be of great assist.

Is there one fish in the tank that is showing aggression?

6. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

Could you put up a few pictures. Even if you don't think they show anything..... different angles, lights, whatever ya got.

Can you point me towards your foxface thread?

Do you have a timeline of events..... like when each fish was bought, what they were, what fish came into contact with each other, who has died, what were their symptoms, how long after acquisition did they start to show symptoms, what did you treat with if anything, where did all your fish come from?

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  7. Kyfishguy

Kyfishguy Astrea Snail

ive been trying to avoid a timeline because im not good with memory so ill give it a shot.

i had 75 gallon with these fish for about a year with no problems EVER
    maroon clown
    foxface
    hippo tang
    5 chromis
    pajamacardinal
    half black angel
    firefish
    blue damsel

I stole about 35lbs of live rock and moved it over to a new 75 gallon and started it up

I bought a picasso trigger and a snowflake eel from petco

a couple weeks later i bought a volitan lionfish

i proceeded to feed these fish with raw foods from the grocery everything was going well everyone was eating for maybe a month

for a month i fed these:
    raw table shrimp
    crabs legs
    salmon

I later picked up and fed it here and there for a couple weeks:
    oysters(this products was a in a small plastic cup and had tons of warnings on it being sketchy for human consumption.)

came in one morning and the trigger was dead

so i kept feeding the eel and lionfish for maybe 2-3 weeks

i added the foxface from the other 75 to control the hairalge

maybe a week went by and thats when it got ugly the lionfish stopped eating and started shedding its skin as if it was being eat up with ich

the foxface started showing strange colors like id never seen before turning pale etc.

the lionfish died

i moved the foxface back over to the orginal tank thinking it was something wrong with the somewhat new 75

8. Click Here!

9. Kyfishguy

Kyfishguy Astrea Snail

the foxface never got better only turned more white and hid in the rocks for at least a week never coming out to eat - i ended up putting him down just didnt want to see him suffer anymore

i bought a 55 gallon qt moved about 30 lbs of live rock over to it and started it up after i decided to stop living with ich and QT all my fish with copper as they come into the house

moved about half my fish into it so that it didnt mini cycle on me

the clown and 5 chromis stayed behind in the 75 while the other fish got use to the 55

maybe a few days later i noticed one of my chromis hiding and not eating next same the maroon clown he did the same only i noticed what i thought was velvet on him (the only fish that showed any visual signs of sickness but i think it was caused by the clown being stressed from whatever he had going on internally)

when i got back from being out of town i moved the remaining fish over into the 55 as i moved them i noticed the clowns eye was fuzzy white(again only fish that has shown any signs of sickness) and covered in what i think is velvet or and extreme case of ich

PS ive been living with ich for over a year and kept perfect water conditions and never had a problem with it

I started dosing the 55 with copper

10. Corailline

Just for clarification how many fish did you have in the 75 gallon prior to setting up the QT?

11. Kyfishguy

Kyfishguy Astrea Snail

came in a few days later and the clown was dead

the chromis that had been showing signs of sickness is still alive and hasnt eaten for a week + he just sits idle in a corner and does nothing

now its its the half black angel a few days ago i noticed him not showing interest in food swimming in place kinda stunned

btw the cupramine has wiped out all signs of ich and velvet if thats infact what it was ( reason i knowthis is because my blue tang would always let me know if i needed a water change and pick up a small amount of ich from time to time) He has 0 ich atm

here is a video of the angel how hes acting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILPhf39gQYY

12. Kyfishguy

Kyfishguy Astrea Snail

@coraline

maroon clown
    (small)hippo tang
    5 chromis
    pajama cardinal
    half black angel
    firefish