Bacteria Bloom/Water Change

Discussion in 'General Freshwater Information' started by irr0001, May 24, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. irr0001

irr0001 Purple Tang

Just a quick question about my 10 gallon..

It has been set up for about 3 weeks now and the water clouded up for the first time this week..I'm assuming this is just a bacteria bloom..should i do a water change during this period or let the bloom run its course before doing so

Thanks,
    Ivan

2. Click Here!

3. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

I don't know much about freshwater so hopefully someone with more experience with it will chime in. However, if this were a marine tank I would just let it's run it's course.

4. irr0001

irr0001 Purple Tang

I was just at my lfs and asked the owner about it..he said that it wasn't bacteria and to just put some accuclear in and it would clear up in a few hours..? i always thought the cloudiness of a new tank was bactera..idk..i dont know much so maybe i'm wrong

5. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

unless you add substrate or stored substrate, it was a bacteria bloom in my opinion. if it was just stirred up cloudy ness you would see it clear up in hours most likely

i would just check your parameters, if the look good leave the tank alone maybe add some carbon it will help remove some of the nutrients in the water column before the bacteria can use it. if the params look bad wc it

right now my goldfish tank is cloudy too because i just moved them over from a smaller tank, and the gravel was dirty. it has probably become 50% clearer in the hour since i finished

6. irr0001

irr0001 Purple Tang

it wasn't substrate cloudiness..nothing has been touched..that would mess up the substrate at least..it just got cloudy a couple days ago..I did a water change a few hours after it got noticeable and it did nothing..so i'll let it go for a few more days then i may give that accuclear stuff a shot..he showed me his planted tank that got clouded up just like mine (i saw it the other day) and he used it and today it was crystal clear

7. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

the pregnancy test?
    jk
    the acccuclear does sound like a good product to use if it is indeed suspend waste and not bacteria. it says it works by causing clumping of microparticles to form macro particles

8. Click Here!

9. irr0001

irr0001 Purple Tang

hahaha maybe i should have been more specific