Back to reef keeping after 15 to 20 year layoff

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by culater, Jul 7, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. culater

culater Plankton

Hello from Birmingham Al. I'm getting back in to reef keeping after a long 15 to 20 year layoff. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a few good up to date books so I can relearn all that I've forgotten plus the new stuff in the hobby. I'm starting with a 90 gallon tank which has an overflow in the left rear ( 2 holes ) I'll have to build a cabinet and new lighting fixture. I also plan on building my own protein skimmer if I can remember how I built the one I had years. It was over sized right at 4 feet tall and I used live rock and sand as an Eco System and didn't have any bio balls. I use VHO lighting but I've noticed from surfing the web that there are T5's and LED's out there. I would also like to know how many watts per gallon is recommended to keep SPS and LSP and soft corals I'll also keep some mushrooms and reef friendly fish. I'm thinking I'll need 4 or 5 watts per gallon. Thank you in advance for any and all replies . Mike

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. jkat21

jkat21 Bangghai Cardinal

Well not to sure on the books,but google and 3reef are your friends..lol..welcome back into the game..and welcome to 3reef...

4. culater

culater Plankton

Thanks jkat21 I'm looking forward to the challenge. Wish me luck!

5. jkat21

jkat21 Bangghai Cardinal

Good luck my friend..any question feel free to ask us..

6. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

First off, Welcome to 3reef fellow 90gal owner.. The hobby has missed you.. ;)

Books?? That's a tough one. Mostly the info I have learned over the years was self taught & of course learned from veterans in the industry. I have done some reading, but mostly researched on the web..

Don't forget to start a thread on Show Off Your tank thread, so we can follow your building progress. I have a very detailed 90gal build out, if you want to get some ideas. The link is on my signature at the bottom of my post. Best of luck!

7. Newreef15

Newreef15 Horrid Stonefish

Just hangout on 3reef for awhile and u will learn alot and if your going to go for sps and i would reccomeding investing in a quality skimmer and metal haliude lighting

8. Click Here!

9. SnooknRedz

SnooknRedz Vlamingii Tang

10. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

11. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Welcome to 3 reef, culator

Books - look for authors like Bob Fenner, with this book getting great reviews
    The Conscientious Marine Aquarist:

Watts per gallon is not really a great guideline for reef tank lighting
    a watt being a unit of electricity being used, some lighting forms are more efficient than others and thus generate more light, waste less energy in the form of heat etc

but basically
    depending on depth of tank
    T5s - with a 4 lamp fixture , with quality lamps and individual reflectors, will be ideal for keeping majority of SPS depending on placement

a 6 lamp T5 unit, will increase the amount of real estate you have available to SPS corals

MH lamps - well if you went bare bottom, you could keep SPS in the sump, using MH lamps ( lol?)

LEDS - to be honest I do not yet fully appreciate the capabilities of this lighting type
    never having used it for anything other than a nano with soft corals in
    but there are a number of LED lit SPS tanks these days, displaying great coloration and good growth
    decide on your tank size, and the preferences for inhabitants and that will help you make the correct lighting selection

12. AquariumFanatic

AquariumFanatic Astrea Snail

Welcome back! I just joined myself, this is a great forum to get lots of helpful information.