Baby Mushrooms?

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by GraviT, Aug 26, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. GraviT

GraviT Coral Banded Shrimp

While sitting around, staring at the tank this evening, I noticed something growing on my favorite zoo rock that has me wondering. There are many small, near transparent circular organisms (about 1cm across) with central openings. After turning off the lights, I noticed that they shrank in size and closed the openings, quite like the mushrooms in my tank. There are even some of them with blue spots!

My question is, do mushrooms only reproduce by dividing, or is there another way that could result in a dense population of 'babies'? I'm tempted to remove the things, as I would like the zoos to have more room to spread, but I can't bear not letting them grow to see what they are! [smiley=bouncylaugh.gif]

2. Click Here!

3. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Tunicates?

John :)

4. GraviT

Could be, although these look pretty flat and "fleshy" if that makes any sense. I just hope they don't choke out the multi colored zoos on the rock, and if they do, I would want them to be equally as stunning. Selfish I suppose, but I like the zoos and for some reason, colorful ones seem to be pretty hard to come by around here without a $40 shipping and handling charge. [smiley=wacko.gif]

I'm going to borrow a digital camera on Monday and I'll try and get some shots of them. My camera broke shortly before I got into the hobby and for some reason, I just don't seem to be able to find the money to spend on a new one lately. [smiley=goofy.gif]

5. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Zo's usaully win most battles, not to worry. It does sound like tunicates to me as well.

6. GraviT

Back on the topic, here is a pic . The things in question are between the zo's.

[​IMG]

7. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Nope, not Tunicates :)

Look like baby mushies to me :)

John