Baby Hippo tang has Ich

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by billyboy2, Jul 3, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. billyboy2

billyboy2 Coral Banded Shrimp

I purchased a Baby hippo tang about a month ago and he has Ich now for the last 5 days. He still eats very well but is flashing on the LR. I have tried in the past using the quarantine method but I have never had success with it. I feel it makes the stress level increase and I end up with a dead fish. I'm sure anyone keeping a Hippo goes through this so do you quarantine it each time?

I Have it in a 55G Long tank w/ 20G fuge. I have 2 extremely lazy skunk cleaner shrimps. They never put themselves out for business if you know what i mean. I have very good water test, ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, phos=0, temp 75,SG 1.025. None of my other fish ever get Ich. I feed a varying diet of frozen food, mysis shrimp, cyclopes, flake, and nori/sea lettuce. It lives with a foxface that's pretty dosile, a somewhat pushy coral beauty, a six line wrasse that hides all the time and 2 percula clowns that never ever leave their long tenticle.

anything besides a QT that I could try? I think it will pass on its own but what can I do to help?

2. Click Here!

3. reefgirl16

reefgirl16 Feather Duster

personally I'd put in QT, you don't want the ich to spread to your other fish, even if they've never gotten ich

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I would just keep doing what your doing. Unless you are going to treat the whole tank or leave it fallow. Once you re-introduce him if he survives the stress of QT, he then becomes reinfected. Keep feeding him, try some garlic or Selcon as well, it might be enough to get him over the worst of it.

5. Tbass3574

Tbass3574 Astrea Snail

trying soaking food in garlic and vitamins, and im not sure if it is a myth or not but i have heard raising the tank temperature can kill ichs life cycle, or also try hyposalinity in a qt, good luck!

6. Reefing Madness

Reefing Madness Skunk Shrimp

As long as he's eating, your in good shape. It will pass. Just gotta get over that 6 week cycle. Then you should be inthe clear. If he's healthy he wil get rid of it everytime. I personally would leave him alone. Its already in your tank, you won't get rid of it by just moving the Hippo to QT, it will still be in the tank when you move him back.

7. billyboy2

billyboy2 Coral Banded Shrimp

thanks for the tips!

going to try soaking some of the nori in minced garlic oil.