Baby goniopora??

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by PghSteeler, Mar 4, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

Well I added my fort goniopora about a weak ago. It is a fairly large colony and seems to be doing well so far. I believe it to be Goniopora norfolkensis after careful research but still not 100%.

Well the other night I was looking and it looks like it budded off a baby colony!! A small little skeleton with 2 small heads is sitting on the sand bed right next to the parent colony!! Picture attached, please disreguard the embarrassing cyano. I have been battling since I moved a couple months ago but grows 95% on sand bed only. Topic for another dicussion though.

[​IMG]

It's so small I don't know if I can move it without losing it or killing it. Afraid itll get blown away so I don't have high hopes for it growing large butstill interesting none the less. Hopefully this means conditions in my tank are optimal for it. Maybe Ill be lucky and itll grow though you never know

2. Click Here!

3. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

take a plastic cup, put some sand in it with a little piece of rock and put that ontop of it. I have done that in the past for different polyps that fall of and worked perfect for me.

4. PghSteeler

Can't forget to post a picture of the parent colony!!
    [​IMG]
    This is right after acclimation and only like 50% extended!

[​IMG]

Slightly mroe extended and waving in the flow. The thing expands huge and rubs agaisnt both the glass and rockwork. Going to move it to a better location with mroe room and slightly less flow next WC.

5. PghSteeler

Hmm might have to try that if its still there when I get time to do it!! Im thinking it would grow super slow sicne gonio are slow growing difficult corals to begin with but it would be very rewarding if I could raise it into antoher colony!

Do you cut away a bit of the cup to help with flow or poke holes?

6. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

7. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

very cool pgh! I would definitely try the cup idea to see if you can get it grow out! Beautiful mother colony btw!

8. Click Here!

9. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

I would not cut the cup at first and see what king of flow you get, you do not want to much until it attaches to rock or it will just blow around and never actually attach.

10. PghSteeler

the goniopora will encrust and attach to rock?? How long does that normally take I didnt now it would do that like an sps or leather would.

11. PghSteeler

Thank you OFK!! It was kind of pricey but I coudlnt pass it up. Was almsot $100 after tax but I couldnt pass it up! Most expensive coral I own now but worth it lol.

12. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

humm interesting.. going to have to research that PGH as some are saying glue it..