Baby clown

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by starfish2217, Aug 1, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. starfish2217

starfish2217 Horrid Stonefish

My little baby clown is always just swimming at the top of the water. He occasionally will go down to about the middle, he seems to have troubles fighting the current so I removed the power head from the filter to reduce the water flow it seemed to help, Im just wondering if anyone has experienced this, he just seems to be having a hard time I don't want him to be stressed out. Also I was wondering since he only has two stripes, if he will develop a third, he is about a 1/2 inch very small, do they develop them later on?

2. Click Here!

3. Pickupman66

Pickupman66 Tassled File Fish

wow, tiny little guy.

while pretty, imo they are not the best of swimmers. I would tone the flow down or at least provide a desireable low flow area. I have some slack areas in my tank and those are the ones preferd by my clown.

4. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

It's normal for them to fight the current, as long as it's not blasting him away every time and there's a spot where he can take a rest if he wants to and to sleep, I don't see a problem with it. as for the stripes, I dont' know if they develop them later or not. They may change color later to some extent. It may be of a variety which only has 2 stripes too.

5. starfish2217

yea he is REALLY small. Soooo adorable I worry about him. The only thing that worried me was this morning he was floating on his side a lot and I thought he was going to go for sure but today as of now he is just everywhere swimming around just fine.. as for the low flow area if he would just swim near the bottom it would be very mellow. But he seems just fine now.. so hopefully he will relax a little bit :)

6. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

I think it's pretty normal for them to hang near the top of the tank when first introduced,mine did the same,he should be fine once acclimated.

7. starfish2217

yea he is lookin great now :) I can't wait to see whether he chooses the torch coral or bubble coral...

8. Click Here!

9. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

just curios what species of clown is it? might help with your stripe question... and a picture possibly :)

10. starfish2217

I believe its an ocellaris. My pet store had a grand re opening and they had baby baby clowns for 5 $ It just said clown fish so im not really sure. and he is literally so small its hard to get a picture of him but I'll try it will be a bit blurry I have to get so close up lol he is this long ------- sooo cute.

11. starfish2217

little clown

k here he is :)

Attached Files:

12. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

yeah i bet :) i have a goby that size (except he stay that size) but hes just the coolest thing because instead of making aa burrow like most gobies he hangs upside down on the rock :)

but thats off subject,::) yeah its hard to tell because i cant see the stripes

edit: nice corals btw!