AZ-NO3 to the RESCUE! (nitrate control)

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by ryanwolf, Jul 7, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ryanwolf

ryanwolf Skunk Shrimp

Hey Gang--

If anyone has been following my trials and tribulations over the last 5 weeks or so... then they would know I have been battling a nitrate problem the entire time. 100ppm. Need I say more.
    I've read up on the debate on how to lower them... staying away from products, using this... adding that... in the end... I decided to try what I thought would work out and I'm glad I did. I recently purchased AZ-NO3. In the last two and a half weeks my nitrates have lowered to the 20-30ppm mark. I couldn't be more excited. My skimmer needs to be cleaned out twice a day... and my fish and tank look great. My water parameters are: temp. 78, nitrites 0, ammonia 0, PH 8.2, salinity 1.022
    I have a 72 gallon bow front with a yellow tang, goby, 2 clowns, flame angel, cleaner shrimp, hermit crabs and snails, 90lbs of live rock and live sand. There are lots of pics posted of what's in my tank on this forum if you'd like to check them out as well.

I am posting my results because I know the debate on nitrates as been raging on long before I ever got into this hobby and can be very frustrating. It was important to lower my nitrates for not only the health of the fish but to reduce the chances of an algae breakout (bad kind) and to get a jump on purchasing my first corals!!!

My advice for any newbie... read... read... read and then formulate a plan that you think will work best for you. As I've said, AZNO3 in conjunction with time, media filter changes (often) and skimmer cleanings daily... really have worked. I also do a 20 percent water change every two weeks. I am hoping in the final week and a half to get the nitrates to about 10ppm before taking my tank off the product slowly. I will repost my results and provide a final summary when finished with the proper dosing for anyone who's interested.

Marinedepot.com sells AZNO3 for 19.99 and it was worth every penny.
    I hope this informaion assists anyone with their battle (frustrating battle) on nitrates.

Ryan! ;-)

2. Click Here!

3. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Glad to see you overcame problem Ryan. Good for you. [​IMG]

My advice to anyone just starting out, is never get yourself in this position in the first place...:-/

Have a good amount of live rock...be patient and let tank fully complete initial cycle.

Add fish slowly so not to overload biofilter. Water params will tell you when and how much you can add over time.

Don't overfeed.

All will come out well and you will never had to deal with this problem. "insha'allah" ("God Willing!")

[​IMG]

4. ryanwolf

ryanwolf Skunk Shrimp

The final results are in on my use of the product...
    After 3 weeks... nitrate levels >10ppm
    The directions say to continue using for the full 30 days or until nitrates are undetectable... however... because the dosage is for a 50 gallon tank... and mine is 72 gallons... I have to wean the tank off the product sooner or I won't have enough left over.

Fish have been doing grea... I'm actually planning on adding a blue hippo and six line wrasse this week.

I'm also adding my first soft coral (zoa)

Anyway... as promised those are my results and experience with az-no3.
    From 100ppm nitrates to less than 10ppm in 3 weeks with no ill affects to live stock.

Take care,
    Ryan

1 person likes this.
  5. wildreef

wildreef Stylophora

Well i will say Ryan , you hav'int given up have ya' lol.

Actually I'm amazed you just jumped into the hobby and went with it with such zeal and seem determined to conqour it.

Kamra UP !

6. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

Me want Kamra too :-[

2 people like this.
  7. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

Well done mate - i've tried all sorts to lower my nitrates, in the end a refugium seemed to be the only thing that worked.

Now i wonder why i bothered as i dont have anything that is nitrate sensitive

8. Click Here!

9. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

You murdered a perfectly good hot link for the sake of an avatar so none for you! :p

1 person likes this.
  10. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

Karma to you for being so funny and making me smile! ;D

1 person likes this.
  11. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

Wait i killed a link....how?

12. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

oh NVM me estupido......