awsome pink corals

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by hottielover14, Aug 9, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. hottielover14

hottielover14 Torch Coral

here is a pic of a pink plate coral that i wanna buy. can somebody tell me about this kind of coral. the guy i might get it from said it was a fungia hard coral and that it doesn't need high lighting. how can it not it's pink

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. hottielover14

here is another coral i might buy. it's a pink colt coral but will this lose it's color under my PC lights. is it agressive.

Attached Files:

4. shawnz28

shawnz28 3reef Sponsor

Does that colt coral look different to you than other colt corals you have seen? Or seem an unnatural pink to you? I can't really tell what it looks like colorwise from the picture.

5. hottielover14

yeah it does but what do u think of the plate coral. i might buy it, either that or a brain coral. but the plate is prettier

6. hottielover14

does anybody know anything about plate corals in here.

7. shawnz28

shawnz28 3reef Sponsor

If the colt is truely pink then the first thing that always comes to mind is dye. As for the plate those spcies tend to be somewhat hardy unlike the heliofungias(sp?). If you get him place him on your sandbed it would be where he would be happiest. As for the color of him, I have no idea if that is a natural variant.

8. Click Here!

9. hottielover14

thanks. could somebody tell me if plate corals come in pink

10. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

That colt looks dyed to me, and I've seen too much of that crap over the years!! Steer clear of it IMO.

Yes, they have a pinkish color morph, most call it red in the trade for some reason. I believe I told you about placement of a plate coral all ready, place it on the sand bed, but propped up on one side with some rubble to allow flow under it. In the wild, they're stacked on each other and rubble, most aren't found on sandy bottom. Air can get trapped under them and that causes tissue lose, which in return will kill the plate. I don't even put any of the sides on sand when I place them, they get larger rubble on one side and smaller on the other. When choosing a plate, look for tissue lose under the plate (don't remove it from water, or allow them to at the LFS-bag it under water) and gaping mouths. If the mouth blows around in the current or tissue looks like its seperated from the skeleton in any manner, don't by it. FWIW, thats a fairly common color morph, reddish pink with green tentecles. The one in the pick looks to be kinda bleached out, but that could be it's natural state as well. They're highly variable.

11. hottielover14

do i have to feed plates. it does looked faded. i though it looked pretty pink.

12. hottielover14

if it is faded will it return.