Awesome LED Weather Simulation

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by crank2211, Apr 23, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. crank2211

crank2211 Purple Spiny Lobster

Hey guys,

Found this pretty awesome video of simulated thunderstorms/lightning using a profilux controller and LED's. Not too sure what this guy is using LED wise, maybe an AI unit or possibly DIY.

His description mentions random weather patterns throughout the week. Cloudiness, lighting storms, sunny etc.. The sound track was added just for aesthetics in the vid, however I think it would be cool to sync up different tracks to their respective weather patterns. I'm thinking seagulls and waves crashing during sunny weather, and varying rain/thunder sounds when appropriate and play all day through speakers behind the tank quietly. Not too obtrusive, but just noticeable. And because conditions would be random throughout the week, you'll never know what the weather might be in your tank that day. You'll get an extra sensory experience when looking at the tank.

Check It Out

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Incredible. Someone find out what he is using!

4. hasek1639

hasek1639 Fire Shrimp

that completely crazy yea find out what he has lol and all those tangs with a butterfly in the tank another crazy lol

5. crank2211

crank2211 Purple Spiny Lobster

Just found an archived thread on RC talking about this vid. He does indeed look to be using AI fixtures, but others are saying the effect can be achieved with something called Simu LED Sticks also.

here

6. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

8. Click Here!

9. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

That is cool, but his fish are freaking out and is probably cuasing a lot of stress since they are not use to it.

10. Dobrzemetal

Dobrzemetal Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

maybe he could hook up a ATO or something with spickets on the top to simulate water falling on the surface of the water....this hobby gets cooler every day

11. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

I need that for my tank!

12. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

I'm fairly sure it does thunderstorm out on reefs at least occasionally; lots of high-humidity air there, and colder less humid air should get there at least sometimes. Also, the fish seem to be going about business mostly as usual; I'd imagine that's the case with wild-caught fish, but likely not tank-bred.

That being said, this setup is pretty sick.

EDIT: Just saw this link over at that other one, too, of a different weather system.