Auto Top-Off

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by mirosh, Aug 5, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mirosh

mirosh Feather Duster

My next project for my new tank is an auto-top-off system...I am trying to use a trash bin or bucket (about 15 gallons) with the JBJ Auto-Top Off system...what do you think, and is there a cheaper way (the JBJ system costs $100 - http://www.vividaquariums.com/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=04-3009).

I also found the spectrapure power liquid level controller for about half the price, any suggestions/recommendations/experience?

Also, I guess it would be OK for me to use the trash bin and fill it with water at the beginning of every week or two, add my dosing elements, and put the top on and it will be fine? Or would something smaller than a 15 gallon container work (my tank and sump only have a total volume of about 65 gallons)?

Thanks,
    Mike

Last edited: Aug 5, 2005
  2. Click Here!

3. Area 51 Exotics

Area 51 Exotics 3reef Sponsor

Mike
    My JBJ Auto top off arrived today, I'll set it up tomorrow. I'll try to write a review on it and let you know.

Mike

4. mirosh

mirosh Feather Duster

Alright...update:

Since I am leaving for Hawaii with my girlfriend at the end of next week, I really needed to get an ATO system in enough time so that I could test it out and make sure it was working properly before I left...

Setup today was extremely easy and took about 10 minutes...I used a 10 gallon Tuperwear container and a Mini-Jet pump with 13mm tubing going from the pump (located in the water reservoir) to the sump.

My only issue is that every time the water level registers as too low and the pump kicks on, the JBJ ATO makes a weird buzzing noise that is quite annoying...good thing it only turns on about 1 or 2 times per day for about 2 seconds or that would get very annoying!

Let me know how youir experience goes!

I will update as I get more use out of it.

-Mike