Audiophiles only:

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by alpha_03, May 13, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. alpha_03

alpha_03 Bubble Tip Anemone

Howdy, I have a few questions for all you audio folks out there.

As I have been out of the loop a while, I am looking for a tube pre driver stage to place between my pre and power amps. I am down sizing my systems into a single system as we are about to start on the new addition which is dedicated to audio and video with a 109" screen and my present 2-channel / 7.1 system.

gear is as follows:

Magenepan 1.6qr's (which are in the shop right now)/JBL L-7 fronts and rears, twin JBL studio chorus center, and the same for the sides. A few mods have been made to these- I have changed out the tweeters to ribbons- much smoother. Subs- M&K 350 THX x 2 Ultra subs, Twin JBL 18' 2241 G's with an AB Intenrnational 8240B powering them,

Main Amplifiers- Odyssey Stratos extremes x 3 (red board units)

Pre amp- Integra Research 7.1 (best phono stage I have heard in a single box unit)

Integra Research DVD player

Toshiba HD player

Denon Blue Ray player

I was using a Van Alstine tube pre driver, but is is only 2 channel, are there any cost effective good sounding 5.1 or 7.1 tube pre-drivers out there, besides the mesa boogie which costs 4400 dollars, or the Mac which comes in at 10 grand?

And no- I have been the Krell route, not ever again, and as for Bryston, 14k- I can not afford.

Ideas?

BTW- my two favorite bands are Iron Madien and Rush- perhaps some old FWM or Steely Dan.

2. Click Here!

3. leighton1245

leighton1245 Horrid Stonefish

I cant help you with tube drivers but down firing subs I have 2 kef kube 2's with iq90's floor standing 2 sets of iq10's for rear and mid channel surround and iq60 for center channel then the 9th channel is a set of the eggs all with a onkyo 3008 audssey 2 receiver no amp yet but deff need one.