ATTN Newbs and Old reefers alike....

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by geekdafied, Jun 25, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Where do I say on this thread that I dont wanna help??? Ive reread this entire post and dont recall ever saying I dont wanna help.

For everyone on here... I know Jim outside of 3reef. We've had lunch,breakfest and dinner together before (not all in the same day). Who's turn is it to buy next Im down there? Mine I think???

2. Click Here!

3. Boredm

Boredm Spaghetti Worm

Ok, let me weigh in on this. I may not be the best person to ask about saltwater related topics but I am an intelligent person and generally if you give me a small piece of information I can derive the answer on my own. Now, since my first post on this site, it was clear that SOME of you "veterans" put down the LFS for bandying false information to sell products to unsuspecting newcomers to the hobby. More often then not YOUR own advice in solely based on YOUR own experience, which in the grand scheme of things is minimal. A lot of the older guys have become their fathers in the sense that you see only one way of doing something and usually that way is only thing you have tried. When you choose to venerate a person then you have just closed 8 billions doors to new experience and opportunity.

Geek, you're saying that people are read-repeating but if you think about it then we ALL do it. Everything you buy, setup, use, destroy has been done time and time again. YOUR RESEARCH COMES FROM OTHER PEOPLES EXPERIENCES WHICH IN TURN BECOME YOUR EXPERIENCES" Don't be so naive as to think that you are doing something different.

Sometimes small questions have big answeres and even bigger complications. For as smart a person as people hold you to be geek, this is a very petty thing to exonerate yourself from.

But you're right! Just do the research. Do the research and save yourself hours of childish retorts and endless nay-saying by people who hold themselves better than you. I HAVE HAD MORE BAD EXPERIENCES WITH THE PEOPLE ON THIS SITE THAN GOOD! Some of you veterans make my blood boil with your lack of understanding. Do yourselves a favor and remember how it was for you to learn a new thing. Then do yourselves a bigger favor and remember that these are live animals who's keepers deserve every bit of help that we can give them. And try not to be a **** about it.

3 people like this.
  4. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

One good example is Aiptasia or various other anemones. Aiptasia's are so common now days that just about everybody has had them at some point. Back to my rant from earlier... There has been so many misidentifications of people calling common rock anemones aiptasia or majano's that Im sure its hard for new people to distiguish the difference between the 3. Aiptasia and Majano's are most commonly found hitchhiking on corals/frags, rock anemones come in on liverock or corals coming from the ocean.

5. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

This thread is getting divisive and I really don't think that was Geek's intention at all.

The best anology I can give is.....

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man how to fish, and he will eat for a lifetime.

Brian, correct me if I'm wrong but I think you are commenting on just what I said.

6. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

+1 on that, totally agree

7. scenario1313

scenario1313 Tassled File Fish

Ya'll might not like me to say this but I am going to say it anyway. This thread does not need to go any further so people will not get mad at each other. Geek I have learned a lot from you and you mentioned about moving on. Don't go we need you here and lets just drop this whole thing. Everyone agree.

8. Click Here!

9. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

I think it's time for a group hug now...........

Yeah.....but it comes back to the trust issue. Who do I trust? Spark I trust, you I trust. I don't trust the Internet at all. Anybody can put up anything and it becomes "fact". Look at Wikipedia. I know what your experience levels are. And if someone read it somewhere, then that counts. It depends on where they read it, but if it backs up what where the thread is going, I take into consideration as a tiebreaker. I have quoted what I have read. I am a Bob Fenner fan. That dude rocks. And his advise is good enough to publish.

So now to borrow something.....I need to find it......I do like the search engine on this site.......Couldn't find it. It was a cool animation of two smiley faces with long arms hugging themselves.

.......or we could start by singing "We are the World". Remember that master-piece of poopy?

You may want to eat before watching this......

YouTube - we are the world

10. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

um... you have no idea what I do.... Im nowhere near your average reefer and I am always willing to try new things and think outside the box. As I stated in an earlier post on this thread, Im not a cow, I dont follow the herd.

I am currently doing a study on dipping with potassium permanganate for Montipora eating Nudibranchs and documenting every aspect of it, with pictures also. During this study, I have found another potential predator of Montipora's that has never been documented and probally undiscovered. I also have pics and documentation of it from my work on this. Im hoping to wrap up the study on Montipora eating Nudibranch's in the next few weeks and submit to be published. My goal was to do another study using potassium permangante on Zoanthid eating Nudibranch's but I may continue with the new potential predator for Montipora's and see if that comes to anything notible.

11. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Agreed.

12. homegrowncorals

homegrowncorals Ribbon Eel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.