ATTN Newbs and Old reefers alike....

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by geekdafied, Jun 25, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShrimpSkin

ShrimpSkin Bristle Worm

There's nothing wrong with doing a little research before the question. Some people like to do that some people don't know how or just want to post the question. Whatever, but you will defintely learn A LOT about the hobby by using the search feature on this board!!

2. Click Here!

3. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Brandon, if Im not mistaken the point of ANY forum is not to hold somebodies hand and baby them. If thats the point of 3reef, then Im on the wrong the forum and will gladly move on if thats the case.

As for your Chromis situation, if you go back and reread my posts for the 3rd time (quoting myself where I responded to your same questions)

Where in the heck did you get this out of anything I have said? Apparently you are not reading what Im typing or not understanding any of it.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2008
  4. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

So if I understand what I've read so far, then Brandon doesn't want anyone to do a little of their own research before asking a question?
    Brandon, once you've been around long enough to have answered the same questions 100 times over like Brian has, then you might understand why he urges people to try doing a little research first.

If there weren't 100's of nearly identical posts with the same questions, then Matt wouldn't have to be doing so much work with the server upgrades to store all that repetitious information. ;D Great work Matt, Thanks.

5. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

Hey geek, I reall not trying to add fuel to the fire here but take it easy there guy,

I along with many others respect you and your knowledge immensely but let people ask their questions even if they have been asked before. You really don't have to respond if you don't want to. Or if nothing else cite those other post's that you feel cover it in your response. I am not saying don't do the research but lets not admonish those that don't.

And as far as people not responding unless they have the right answer, everyone has an opinion and we can't all be right all of the time, right. If it was this way life would be pretty darn boring and no fun at all. And if you don't correct people how will they ever learn the right answer?

The funny thing is I seem to remember seeing a post like this on another website, or if nothing else this post should be on that other website not on 3 reef! Most importantly lets all take it easy, this site is for everyone to have FUN, Newb and Old sages alike.....

6. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

LOL I am taking it easy, but did you read what I wrote? Im not saying ANYWHERE on this not to ask questions! I said do some research before you ask, and if you cant find the answer or something doesnt seem right, then by all means ask away!

7. jbaker

jbaker Feather Duster

I tend to lean more towards Geeks point of view and I've been guilty of just throwing out a question without trying to look it up using the search. However, having said that, I have found 3reefers to be an incredible source of information and patience. I would encourage newbies and vets alike to try and do a search first and then ask the question if the answer can't be found. Each situation is different but this hobby isn't an exact science where you have to do "abc" before you can do "d". Reefers are an incredibly diverse group as are the occupants of out tanks, we've all got our own personalities and ways of doing things. What works for me may not work for you and there is always room for improvement for each of us, including our wet friends.

8. Click Here!

9. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Can you give us an example of what not to ask?

1 person likes this.
  10. jimw369

jimw369 Fire Shrimp

Hey Bluewater! Great question hahaha!

I will answer any ones questions (if I can) if they are confused about how to get a tank up and running, light,sumps,water chemistry,corals,fish and how to change the water in there tank along with just about anything else. JUST BE FORWARNED...you might be directed where you can find answers to those questions.

Hahaha..glad you are here at 3-reef! Karma!

11. jimw369

jimw369 Fire Shrimp

Id like to thank anyone here for answering my questions in the past. Im sure I will have more, but you can rest assured before Ive asked the question I ve done some looking around not just here but in other places. I usually single a few of you 3-reefers out and ask questions in a PM.

Most here dont realize that many that were posting a year or 2 ago post very little now. They get tired of the same old stuff coming in the threads when its all beautifully laid out to be read at someones liesure if the search feature is used along with a willingness to just read old threads.

I believe fear is good. Fear to post a stupid question is the way it should be. A person should research first, then ask questions. The problem is in todays society everybody wants it easy, for free, right now and without working for it.

When Geek says he doesnt want to help new people I can understand that. People that have a doctorate dont sit around teaching people how to do a dot to dot drawing. Just be thankful there are some people here at 3-reef that are available for the important questions. I say figure out how to mix salt water, get rid of aptaisia, and keep the green off the glass on your own thru reading and research and use the good people here at 3-reef for the more important issues you are gonna face should you stay in the hobby for a while.

12. scenario1313

scenario1313 Tassled File Fish

Maybe I am part of the problem to but can't we all just get along. GEEEEEEZ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.