ATTN Newbs and Old reefers alike....

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by geekdafied, Jun 25, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Where I have a problem is where people will ask the same question on several forums because they dont like the answers they're getting and they are looking for an answer they wanna hear.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. shipbear

shipbear Bubble Tip Anemone

I don't know where my post is, this is a big website, which I really enjoy..
    Most of my post is in the Beginners..
    Being disabled, I spend many hours reading post.. Without this website I know I would never been able to do a saltwater tank.. And I really love it..

And yes, I always read the Stickies ..
    And have looked and looked at the worm pictures, etc..
    ALOT as I have found stuff in my tank, I didn't know if Good or Bad..
    I was told these were a type od featherduster that gets on glass..
    These look very much like that, but after 3 weeks have never developed ..
    My camera want take good pictures..
    They do no harm, and easy to remove with my fingernail..
    I was afraid that it was Flatworm eggs..
    And as I said........ I always read the Stickies ..
    And I do search.. But sometimes I don't know what to type in for my search..
    Sorry for any hard feelings..

Thanks, Larry

I only post one time...
    But I know what you mean, and I think they do that alot with pictures.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2008
    1 person likes this.
  4. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Ummmmm. Hmmmmmm. Don't know what to think about this thread. I understand it, but at the same time, it is a little annoying.

I cannot even remember how I happened on 3reef. Tried to remember and failed. I had never been a member of a forum before. Didn't know what was up. But this is neat. Entertaining. Informative. All of these. And more. Most people roll their eyes if I talk about my tank. So I just don't anymore. Y'all know the feeling I am sure. This is a place to talk about that which we love. Looking back in the posts a few years (which is all I go. Maybe to 2006) I see different people posting, sharing experiences and at the risk of losing my coveted testosterone level, building relationships with each other. Ick, I said it.

I see the following done a lot on the repeat posts. Someone will post, a newbie will respond, a veteran will post, another veteran will give the previous dude(ette) %$#$ about something, another similar topic comes up, and it goes on. Packleader and I were racing to the new posts last night. It was cool. He was winning. It was fun. It was waaaaay too late. And they were repeat questions.

I have absolutely no problem with answering questions again and again. I don't care. Tonight I was actually a little embarrassed to ask a paint question for fear that it was asked before, and that was before I read this post. So I ended up PMing Sparky and asking him privately and going with it. The question was "Do I use Satin or Flat black?" I have to admit, I did not search that hard, but I like to hear from people that I have built a relationship with. Searching the Internet is fine, but who can you trust? I know the beginners, the intermediates and the experts here.

And ya got to remember, a lot of the newbies have no idea what to search for. I have done searches that have lead me down the wrong road because I was not able to communicate back and forth with the other members about the problem. One question leads to many answers which gets gradually fine tuned into a solution that works. It is taylor fit for you.

I don't know......I don't mean to rail against anyone. I really don't. But IMO, ask away, as many times as you want. If you want to go to another site, then go. That person obviously don't trust the people here....and that's fine, it's their problem.

I just don't want anyone feeling at all self-conscious about asking anything about what is going on in their tank.

So there is my 20 cents worth.

How are you doing anyway Geek.....are ya feeling any better? You had me a little worried there.

2 people like this.
  5. cannedmulder

cannedmulder Teardrop Maxima Clam

Here is my two cents worth....I agree with all of you. Now that I have been on this site for a while I find that I try to go search what I am looking for before I post but half the time because peoples titles don't always match what they are asking or talking about it is hard to find by just looking at titles. However I also had never been on a forum and didn't know how to get around the site very well and also didn't know what I was looking for!

If you are tired of answering the same old questions over and over maybe don't answer and see if one of the newer older people will take over. That way you can answer the questions you want to.

I can't imagine that everyone reads every post on here! I know I don't and I am still learning as I go.

Well that is my 2 cents worth for what it is worth!!

6. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

I'll say this again, this thread is not directed towards any single person. Its a general post. I stress researching stuff and it was intended to be a helpfull reminder to people to do their own research.

I dont post a lot on some threads because I hate correcting people unless I have to. It seems lately there has been a few new people giving advice to other new people which is the blind leading the blind. There are so many "read repeaters" in those. People who read something somewhere or somebodies brothers/siters/cousins/great aunt edith told them. Just because you read it or heard it somewhere doesnt mean its what you should do ot even recommend to people. Everybodies tank is different, there for what works for one person, may not work for another. Just like how I use tap water, but I check it with a TDS meter and its always around 100TDS which is fine for my tanks. I have ecellent growth and coloration and I keep all kinds of corals. On the other hand, a buddy of mine is on well water, so his tap can get pretty nasty and he goes RODI filters monthly as a result to main a low TDS. I am by no means saying tap water is safe, Im saying MY tap water is safe. I read the other day where somebody said you have to have a sump, well I hate to break it to them, but Ive never owned a sump and yall have seen pics of my corals. A lot of what I do "goes against the grain" and it works for ME.

If I could give only one bit of advice to somebody, it would be to use common sense. A lot of this hobby is just simple common sense.

ok enough of my ranting, lol!

If anybody specifically wants my help, Im just a PM away.

EDIT: ok one more rant well make that 2 more...

When it comes to ID'ing something, if you dont know for sure, dont post. If you think its something, look it up before you tell somebody. Ive seen a post on here where somebody called a protopalythoa an aiptasia.

This use to be in my signature.... Zoanthids are pronounced Zo-Anthid, not Zoo-Anthid or "zoo's". A Zoo is place where animals are kept on display. Zo (rhymes with Toe) is a prefix meaning Animal. Quote from Renaming Our Corals "Notice that this word contains only a single "o." A zoo is a place where animals are kept on display, whereas zo-(rhymes with toe) is a prefix meaning "animal." Actually, the prefix zo- and the word zoo have completely different etymologies; that they appear to be similar is just coincidence. This is a simple point, but I can't overstate how it grates on the ears of folks who know better. My advice in any endeavor would be to know the correct pronunciations of its words; otherwise we seem less-informed than we truly are."

Last edited: Sep 21, 2008
  7. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

As for searching on here or any search engine, type in your question... Like say you wanna know "should I use flat or glossy black paint for my aquarium" well type that into the search or any other search engine. IMO, I would use flat black simply because even flat black will appear glossy from the other side of the glass.

8. Click Here!

9. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

:eek::eek::eek: After this thread, are you for REAL?!?! Gad-ZOOKS! :eek:

I'm sorry geek, but I continue to be at odds with the entire purpose of this post. In fact, you have contradicted yourself entirely throughout this entire thread. You "don't care a bit to help a newb"? WTF? As I said before, that's the POINT of this website, dude! And I *NEVER* use the word "dude".

March 2002 - My first tank...ahhh that new tank smell. Wait a minute, why is my Chromis Damsel losing its color after the lights go out?????? Search Google: Green Chromis Lose Color - green chromis lose color - Google Search

Either my chromis is old (hit number 1), sick (hit number 2), or is actually a BLUE TANG (hit number 3)!!

Search 3reef - Green Chromis Lose Color - http://www.3reef.com/forums/search.php?searchid=173363

OMG I DON'T HAVE A GREEN CHROMIS, IT'S A BLUE TANG! Searching both websites have something in common!

You see? Just because you "don't care a bit to help a newb" doesn't mean you should wave your finger at the rest of us who do.

NEWBIES! POST ANY FREAKIN QUESTION YOU WANT WHETHER IT HAS BEEN ASKED A MILLION TIMES BEFORE OR NOT.

1 person likes this.
  10. 1st time

1st time Purple Spiny Lobster

I don't usually ask questions, I usually check this form, other forms, read and then sit back and wait. I know that I'm a newbie and I have a lot to learn so I am hesitant to answer many questions even ones that I know the answer to. I hope that I haven't lead anyone astray, when I give an answer I usually preference it With a disclaimer[ I AM A NEWBIE]

11. mirandacollc

mirandacollc Flame Angel

:eek:

Kind of Like the beating of the dead horse here in this thread?Or just one person wanting to hear the answer they want? I can tell you as a nubie I did not understand the abberivation of some of the terms and its made it hard even to look at older threads. Yes I read on and figure it out but really if asking questions bothers you so much why read them? I am not meaning this to be harsh as I am sure it sounds that way but we are 4 pages into dont ask questions seems like a waste of space on the forums doesent it?

12. Rawdogz

Rawdogz Torch Coral

I know Geek dislike people jumping in on his behalf special a newbie , but I disagree with him and I agree with him. Ultimately it his opinion and we should respect it and not beat up on him for it. He also said this post was for newbs and older reefer alike.

I was always told never jump into something blindly, know what you are getting yourself into. with that said do a little research if you are unsure or just want to verify the information you found, post away, post to the cows come home. Am new to the reef side of SW and I ask a lot of newbie question to verify what I have found. Am getting ready to post a newbie question in a little bit to verify what I have found.

That’s just my 5 cents, to back up the other two 5 cents I left earlier in this post for a total of 15cent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.