ATTN Newbs and Old reefers alike....

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by geekdafied, Jun 25, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. suckafish

suckafish Montipora Capricornis

yes research is a good thing to do, but at the same alot of the research on the web is garbge. not to metion, newbie espically, may not really know what they are asking till the someones gives them feedback. as stated before there no two threads that are the same, even with the same topic. I dont know if anyone is like me and here for not only advice but some other way to chat about a common inteset. but with a post like that you are going discourage nervous newbies into not posting in fear of look like a dumba$$.
    in short, use the search engine, but if you still dont get or at all lost post a question even if it has been asked.

2. Click Here!

3. wareagle35031

wareagle35031 Bubble Tip Anemone

I agree that searching is good, but I also would like to say that if I search for something about a spacific topic, if this site has been around since the 90's I may get some outdated information.

Just because something worked in the 90's doesnt mean its the best way to do things now?

4. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Thats very true, but if you pick one forum, reef lighting for example and read the topics (not the whole threads of course) through the first 10 pages, that onlt goes back to march. See how many times things are repeated. When all anybody had to do was click a couple of buttons and seen somebody posted about it a few days/weeks before.

No offense to the new people, but every winter, there is a new group of newbs getting in to the hobby (the cold weather has a lot to do with it). They all ask the same questions for 4 or 5 months or more in some cases. Its the same questions being asked every year like clock work for the first several months of the year.

People who have been at this for a long time, generally dont post repetitive questions. They generally post about showing off their tanks, corals, critters, off topic stuff or serious problems that have them stumped, or equipment upgrades. Not the real common stuff. That stuff cant be researched. Thats where a lot of people get enjoyment out of the hobby. I enjoy getting on here and looking at every ones pics, getting to know fellow reefers, dont care a bit to help a newb, as most of you know, I dont care a bit to help somebody out.

I just dont want anybody to be misinformed by a "READ REPEATER". Read Repeaters are people who dont have any or not a lot of experience, but will readily quote you something from a book or something they heard somewhere but dont really have a clue about the topic or ever experienced it FIRST HAND. There are A LOT of other forums that are bad for that and I see that here occasionally as well.

5. nunch

nunch Aiptasia Anemone

i see what you're saying geek, and i try to research also. but, honestly if no one was repeating questions, i'd imagine there wouldn't be any new posts, considering just about everything's been answered at least once on this site.

6. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Theres all kinds of other posts going on here. Check this link out Active Topics. It lists all the active topics on 3reef in order of last post. It might slow down on new threads, but posting will continue was usually and might even encourage people to post more pics and things of that nature (eye candy).

7. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

I would also encourage people to have online tank journals. It makes things more interesting. It also gives people new ideas on to do things, or improve things.

8. Click Here!

9. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

I totally agree with you Geek. How many times in one month has it been asked, "What are these white spots all over my tank?" Granted, there is nothing wrong with asking, but only after you have searched and not found your answer. I guess I'm one of the older ones that looks it up to find some answers and then if I'm confused or can't find it I'll ask. Maybe Matt could put something after a beginner signs up, that directs him or her directly to a page of FAQ's and how to perform a search? Can that be done?

2 people like this.
  10. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Im sure that can be done, just like the welcome message asking to do the "say hello" thread. Great Idea!!!

1 person likes this.
  11. mattgeezer

mattgeezer Montipora Capricornis

Karma for geek!;D

1 person likes this.
  12. Rawdogz

Rawdogz Torch Coral

am here for the same reason. this club helps me though my day at work just like am sure it help others, for good idea to bad idea, from funny stuff to sad stuff. anyway you cut it we are all a big reef family with repetitive questions and answer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.