Atticus' 75g *Somethings seem to be growing* 12/03/12

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by Atticus818, Feb 25, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Hmm cool.

The corals appear to be loving it based on the growth and coloration.

Sweet stuff.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Atticus818

Atticus818 Eyelash Blennie

Thanks Cheryl. Yeah, the drip idea was from a guy at RAP last year selling the seachem phyto stuff. I don't know how adventitious it all is to be honest... but I wanted to be able to zero out 100% of the PO4 and not worry about starving anything. So far it has been ~6 months and stuff seems to be doing okay. Never see PO4 or Nitrate on my Hannas so I am happy for now.

4. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

Thanks for the input! Im not sure if I really understand what you do and why you do. You feed the tank rather more but what goes in the tank is carefully rinsed/cleaned? How often target feed the corals? Sorry your tank is very inspiring, and pretty much exactly what Id like to accomplish. I feel I need to lower my nutrient level, so Im looking into running GFO in addition to the BioPellets Ive been running...

1 person likes this.
  5. Atticus818

Well yes, everything I feed is rinsed every time. However, to clarify, when you skim heavy and run GFO/BP you are removing plankton that has formed from the nutrients free in the tank AFAIK. The more nutrients, the more plankton, the more "greenwater" effect your tank gets. This is not limited to plankton, as algae feeds from this as well. You removes these things to "purify" your tank and keep problem algaes out. I try to mitigate this by removing all of the food for said plankton and algae. This ultimately removes all free floating food that the corals need in order to thrive, so I manually replace this food in a "pure" form via a purchased product. This limits the bad stuff, and leaves us with ample food for our reef.

I spot feed 2 times a week to answer your other ?

I would not hesitate to add gfo and pellets together, as then I feel you get the best of both worlds, but it is a VERY careful balancing act. Overdose, and it is surely death for your system.

6. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Andrew the corals look great, awesome growth. Glad to see you tank coming back.

1 person likes this.
  7. Atticus818

Thanks so much John. I am quite glad to see it rebounding as well.