Attention Farmers!!! I have a question...

Discussion in 'Frags' started by geekdafied, Aug 9, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Have any of yall used plaster of paris (calcium sulfate) to make frag disks/plugs out of? I know one well known farmer who uses it (hes actually a speaker at macna this yr), but everything Ive ever got from had pests like aiptasia/hydroids/bryopsis, so I always refrag the frags from him to avoid any hitchhikers. So I dont have any experience FIRST HAND using it. (no offense people, but if you dont have FIRST HAND experience with it, please dont comment.)

For all the people who wanna say something about sulfates, once cured plaster of paris will only dissolve 0.2% over its lifetime (already researched that).

2. Click Here!

3. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

I never had a problem with them Brian I have used many of them and I have 4 in the tank here now on rack as I have yet mounted them to rocks. What are you say that they somehow maybe encourge pest or that maybe the sulfides could do harm ? Not sure i floow the question . I myself like the concrete flat plugs I always drimmel them a little for a really smooth area to set the corals on.

4. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

I agree with Roger here.....I've made them out of P.O.P. many times without issue. For many years, I only used things from here Boston Aqua Farms, LLC but then I just started making my own.

5. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Nah Im not saying they cause issuses, I was asking if they did cause my only experience with them is from that Coral farm in AL that I got a whole shipment with pests. I didnt know if its related or not.

I need to get some pics of what I bought today to try out. Its the coolest thing for making your own frag disks...