attaching hard corals to live rock

Discussion in 'Frags' started by billrwilson, May 31, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. billrwilson

billrwilson Fire Worm

with what and how? I'm tied of them falling out of the crevice i put them in.

2. Click Here!

3. Superpede1

Superpede1 Astrea Snail

Theres a few things you can do. You can super glue them in place, buy a special putty to hold it in place (the name of it eludes me at ths moment), or you can use something like a rubber band to hold it in place for a while until it attaches itself (24 hours should be long enough I think).

4. billrwilson

billrwilson Fire Worm

ummmm how do lps attach by themselves? i don't think that's possable. soft corals, leathers and mushroom's and the like are the ones that do that.

5. Superpede1

Superpede1 Astrea Snail

Well I believe tree coral would be considered hard coral and the branch that broke off when a rock fell on it attached to a rock rather quickly.

6. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

What exactly are you referring to when you say "tree coral"?

OK, there are a lot of LPS that don't attach and some that do. Sometimes it just takes a really long time for lps to attach.

OK here are some tips on attaching corals to live rock.

Softies:
    1) If using rubble you can either use some rubber bands to secure a branch or even use a tooth pick.

2) If you are trying to attach to a rock already part of the aqua-scape, try the toothpick, you might get lucky and strike into a crevice.

Hard corals:
    1) If using rock rubble (please dont kill me) you can use two-part appoxy and stick the coral to the rock. BE AWARE the 2-part stuff kills coral tissue it touches...but all the corals using it with eventually grew over it.

2) Also with using rubble you can use super glue gell...i really am not fond of this because the glue is somtimes runny...and that gets annoying...but it does work. Just put some glue on the rock and the coral frag and stick the two together.

There really isnt a good way i have found to attach a frag directly to the aquascape without messing around untill it works.

Hope this helps :)

7. JediReefer

JediReefer Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I use Zap Gel for everything.

8. Click Here!

9. Superpede1

Superpede1 Astrea Snail

I was reffering to Scleronephthya, I see it is a soft coral though so nevermind.

10. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I use Aquarium 2 part epoxy or super glue gel. I fine the supper Glue works best with small frags. Plus you can attach underwater. you just have to hold it for about a minute

J