Attaching frags

Discussion in 'Frags' started by Malarky, Sep 27, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Malarky

Malarky Astrea Snail

I have a couple kenya tree frags that I picked up at a swap yesterday. I cant find any reef glue or epoxy in the area. Ive called petco, petsmart, the lfs, went through walmart and even called home depot. Is there any brands that I can find at a store that I dont have to worry about contaminating my tank? It would have to be something I could apply underwater too.

2. Click Here!

3. defdad

defdad Fire Shrimp

You can use any brand of superglue gel. Apply glue to base of frag and immediatly put under water. It will make a film over the glue. Place the frag where you want it and give it a little twist to break the film then hold firmly for about 30 seconds. I would also recommend cleaning the area of rock with a toothbrush just prior to gluing. You can also look for underwater epoxy. It looks like a roll of clay putty. The one I bought a while back was blue on the outside and white in the middle. Just slice a piece off and kneed for about a minute.

4. Malarky

Malarky Astrea Snail

I might have to try epoxy, I picked up superglue the other day and attempted to get the frags underwater. They looked great, then the following night I found 2 on the bottom of hte tank. So I reglued them, looked good.... next day 1 on the sand, and both are tipped over.

5. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

You can use superglue, take some pantyhose - cover the frag and hold it down with a lose rubber band.

1 person likes this.
  6. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Glue does not work on softies or leathers or other similar corals such as kenya.
    You need to use a rubber band to hold them in place and put them in a low flow area until the attach themselves to the frag.

2 people like this.
  7. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Yeah, you may have to pull it out to glue it to a rock.. as said above clean the rock.. Dry rock will glue much better. But temporarily you may be able to put a toothpick through it and wrap a rubberband around it. Then it will attach itself.

8. Click Here!

9. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

Kenya tree frags are kinda a pain to get to stay put after gluing. I had 4 slime off their plugs this week and only was able to find 1. Next time after gluing I'm going to try to bury the plugs in the sand and kind of plant them in the tank so the sand supports the base of the frag. Good luck using the epoxy, I never really liked that stuff unless gluing 2 hard pieces together like sps to a plug, or a plug to rock.

~Will.

10. wkbrdr1661

wkbrdr1661 Purple Spiny Lobster

+1 on epoxy with 2 hard surfaces

11. oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1 Fire Squid

glue wont ever work on kenyas or the likes, what i do is put a tooth pick thru the bottom of the coral and attach it with a rubberband around the tooth pic, works great

12. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Bears repeating :)