Attaching corals to liverock

Discussion in 'Frags' started by skennelly, Feb 11, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. beamer

beamer Sea Dragon

I have used both and they work well. I like super glue best, it doesn't budge after you place it. Sometimes the epoxy doesn't hold as well but that's what I've used under water when I couldn't pull the rock out. I haven't tried super glue under the water yet.

Cindy

2. Click Here!

3. skennelly

skennelly Coral Banded Shrimp

Does superglue work if the target rock in still in the tank and under water? What I'm saying is I want to attach a small piece of rock that my coral is attached to a large piece of liverock in my tank. I can't take out the liverock to do the attachment.

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

It can work, but I've found it to be a little messy. The glue will sometimes start getting stringy when you move the coral through the water. It will work most of the time though.

5. DaDannyKS

DaDannyKS Plankton

So is it better to epoxy/superglue the little rock the coral is attached to and then put it through the water or to try epoxy/superglue to the main rock underwater?

6. mirandacollc

mirandacollc Flame Angel

I like the epoxy then the coral usually grows over it and makes it look natural after a few months.

7. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

I cant get any of it to work well for me so good luck!

8. Click Here!

9. Kevin3884

Kevin3884 Tassled File Fish

Super Glue Gel..Dollar Tree..3 tubes in a pack for $1.00 :) I buy 10-11 packs at a time...yes i get strange looks from the cashier... :) When using super glue its best to put the glue on the frag, then take it under water to the rock you want it on...press it a little to the rock..then pull up a little...then press down and hold for about 30-40seconds...I have noticed that using this method is the best for me....but the little push and pull and then push is an important step...the super glue hardens when it hits water...and the little push then pull then push makes it tacky and creates a better surface glue :)

10. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

Check the shelf life on the dollar tree super glue-check the shelf life on all dollar tree products. Theres a reason they can sell it for a dollar-its outdated.

11. newtosalt

newtosalt Spaghetti Worm

There are lots if ways to attach corals to Rock you can buy a 2 part epoxy that can be purchased at your lfs or you can simple use krazy glue as it dries really fast just make sure the rock are is dried first and the frag is also and it will take a few seconds to dry together and the epoxy can be placed on a Rick and molded to give it a natural look and in time coralline algae will encrust the epoxy and ur will look natural hope this helped

12. newtosalt

newtosalt Spaghetti Worm

Can superglue really expire tho I mean it's packaged airtight it's like a can of beans