ATO to use with Apex controller

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Thatgrimguy, Jun 11, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

I ordered my neptune apex last night and still need to order an ATO for my 210 gallon build... I have the RO/DI line pulled to the sump so I can go direct but don't want to overfill... Anyhow. I have never had an auto top off or a controller before so I have no idea where to start. Any suggestions?

2. Click Here!

3. loneracer05

loneracer05 Clown Trigger

Get a break out box and afew float switches :) oops don't forget a pump toms aquatic aqualifters are a good choice here imo

4. Owentl

Owentl Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Autotopoff.com has some nice switches

5. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

Don't they make switches that hookup directly to a computer? Or is that only for DA?

6. johnc101

johnc101 Feather Duster

I have the ultraprecise from Spectrapure (i thinks that is what it is called)....

It is a little pricey but you get what you pay for and that is reliability 100%... I have mine hooked up to my Apex controller and works like a charm.............

7. loneracer05

loneracer05 Clown Trigger

Neptune aquatics requires a break out box to use float switches but you can get the float switches for like$ 3 on ebay. Another nic feature with a break out box would be as a leak detector(I think this would work)

8. Click Here!

9. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

So, let me get this straight.. I can wire the float switches directly to the break out box, then I can buy any? pump, and write the program on the apex and I'm good to go?

10. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

11. Leeroy Jenkins

Leeroy Jenkins Plankton

Not sure if anyone ever answered you, but that's exactly how you do it. You use the breakout box and hook your float switch to that. You write the program to turn on whatever outlet your top off pump is on when the switch closes.

As a backup, you can also put a second switch in your reservoir container close to the minimal level that the pump needs to operate and then write the program so that the pump wont turn on if this switch opens (indicating too little water in the top off reservoir).

12. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

ATOs occasionally fail and when they do, they car wreak havoc. I like redundancy, so, if possible, I would recommend going with a separate ATO, but plugged into the apex. There are a number of ways you can use a controller together with an ATO. If you have a salinity monitor, you can cut the power if the salinity drops too much. You can use the breakout box and add an independent float switch, separate from the ATO. Or, what I do, is I drip kalk, with a very slow pump, using my ATO. However, if my pH rises too much, my controller (I don't have an APEX, but you can do the same with the APEX) shuts it off. Any of these methods adds a little extra fail safe, which is why I like having a controller. What can I say, I'm a big believer in Murphy's law LOL.