ATI LED/T5 Powermodule Hits USA in March

Discussion in '3reef Radar' started by Matt Rogers, Feb 25, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jake

Jake Sea Dragon

I see the T5/LED combo similar as to the traditional T5/halide combo, which get great shimmer.

While the 75 W LED cluster doesn't put out as much light as a 250 W metal halide, and isn't as much of a point source lighting, I would be really surprised if there was no shimmer at all.

2. Click Here!

3. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

A 75 watt cluster should give a decent amount of shimmer. My 100w Ecoxotic Cannon puts out far more shimmer than my 400w MH. This is because the overall light source is 4" x 1" with reflector included. That is 100w emanating from 4 square inches. My metal halide light source is 14.5" x 14.5". That is 400w emanating from 210 square inches. The ATI modules are from 4" x 1/2" area. That is 75w from a 2 square inch area. It is the vast amount of light emanating from a small source (hence the name point source) that creates the shimmer.

4. adamwheel

adamwheel Plankton

I'm very interested in this light. Currently building a 66" 178 gal SPS dominant tank. I am disappointed to hear that the 60" version will not feature dimmable T5's.

Should this be a deal breaker? Should I consider 2 of the smaller fixtures?

Thoughts?

5. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

Underdriving T5 shortens the life of the bulb. I am actually glad they are not dimmable!

6. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Looks gorgeous, but is it not extremely overkill? I have 55 Bridelux LEDs running at 30%, 6' above waterline/24" above sandbed, over my 20 gallon and it may still be a little too high for my SPS corals.