ATI Combo

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by amartinez, Jan 14, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. amartinez

amartinez Astrea Snail

Right now I have a coral+ and a blue+ on an Aquticlife dual fixture. Can i change the coral+ to a purple+ ? Will it affect my corals?

I have some zoas, frogspawn, kenya tree, rainbow ricordea

2. Click Here!

3. Nuebie

Nuebie Peppermint Shrimp

I would think so. I'd keep the coral+ or go to a Aquablue Special. Your going to lose some par with the purple+

4. Poseidon27

Poseidon27 Flamingo Tongue

The amount of PAR that differs between the ABS and the purple + is around 20 I think, so it wouldn't be that's much if a difference to swap them out. The main thing would be what colors you have or are wanting to enhance in your coral? If you have a lot of purples, reds, oranges, etc then I would put the purple+ and keep one of the others. I have a link that another guy on another forum posted up all the PAR ratings for the major bulbs on the market but it doesn't have the coral + on there so I'm not sure what the PAR on it would be. I'm currently running an ATI ABS and a coral + on my system with two actinic that came with the fixture and I'm about to swap those out for a blue+ and a KZ Fiji purple. I personal like the KZ purple bulb a little better, idk but it's the only non-ATI bulb I use and I've had great results with them.

5. Poseidon27

6. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

You can but your tank will look reddish.

7. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

I know a lot of people that run only Purple plus and Blue plus. It's a pretty dark color but a lot of my local reefers swear by this combo. Not my personal style, but they are having good results.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  8. Click Here!

9. Poseidon27

Yea, I've seen that before as well and I'm not a big fan.

10. amartinez

amartinez Astrea Snail

So my corals will be ok? Which one is better Aquablue special or Blue+ ?

11. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

The Aquablue Special, Coral Plus and Purple Plus are considered daylight bulbs. They provide the most energy for growth in general and the Blue Plus and Actinic help most with color. The Blue Plus is also an excellent growth bulb.

On your fixture I would suggest using a daylight and a blue bulb for the best spectral mix.

An ABS and a BP will give you a more white look and a CP and BP will give more of a bluish look.

Which set up you use is up to your preferences. You will not go wrong either way.

12. amartinez

amartinez Astrea Snail

Thanks for the help everyone. I went ahead and got blue+, purple +, and ABS. Ill play around with it