Astrea snails and Hermit crabs not compatible?

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by QTYPIE424, Nov 2, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. QTYPIE424

QTYPIE424 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Since I have introduced my snails and crabs together I have been loosing about a snail a week. The crabs will pick at them until they loose suction and once that occurs its all over for the snails. The crabs will clean em out and I am about ready to get rid of the crabs. Is there any crabs that wont do this to my snails?..I have to do something...I came home last night and my bf said he took out another dead snail while the crab was still trying to feed on it that he flushed it down the toilet...Funny but not funny...Any suggestions?
    Thanks Q

2. Click Here!

3. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Buy empty shells for the crabs to move into. Otherwise they will continue killing your snails. There's no guarantee that they still won't but the damage to your snail population should lessen. There are a lot of people who dislike crabs for this very reason. This is compounded by the fact that a lot of "clean-up crew" kits have way too many crabs in them.

4. APC

APC Gigas Clam

I agree with the empty shells comment. I have a few extra in my tank, which gives the crabs something to grow into. I lose about 3-4 snails a year now to the crabs. Not too bad. Also, I have noticed that the Mexican Turbos seem to hold their own much better then the astreas. Plus they seem to be better at self-righting when they turn over. I tend to lose the astreas when the fall off the glass and land on thier backs....If I don't flip them over...they are crab bait for sure. :)

5. QTYPIE424

I will have to get some empty shells then to see what happens. I also think l will get a couple of those mexican turbo snails as well. Them crabs are really pissin me off. If all else fails I will ditch them and get some different crabs maybe, or are they all like that?
    Q

6. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Red-legs tend to be slightly less aggressive but they really are all like that. They are opportunistic feeders and if they have the means and opportunity, snailicide is something most of them don't have a problem with. The larger they get, the worse they get. It's never a problem for me. Once they misbehave, into the mantis tank they go.

7. QTYPIE424

hmmm....ya i was also thinkin of getting something to give them problems too but I want a nice peaceful tank since I have no other tank to punish them in right now. hehe

8. Click Here!

9. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

:lol: The question is, does your mantis knowingly instigate any of the trouble that the hermits get into? :lol:

10. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

LOL...It's not really punishment. Any food whether frozen, freeze-dried, flake, etc. all revolve around a sea-creature that was killed. They were just killed by humans instead of an animal.

If I could sing like Elton John, I would be singing, "The Circle of Life" right now.

FWIW, my mantis are rarely fed live food. Some is necessary for their health and while I don't like to do it, I must. Heck, I transport poisonous spiders outside on pieces of paper when Rachel always wants me to squoosh them.

11. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

LOL!!!

12. QTYPIE424

Not sure what FWIW stands for but I understand what your saying and agree.
    P.S. I run from spiders so go figure...:)