Assistance on Lighting and LR

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by chuck, Mar 16, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. chuck

chuck Plankton

Hi all Great Forum!! [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]
    Switching over from Discus to reef and starting to get my equipment list ready.
    I have some questions i was hoping to get answers on:
    1). on lighting I'm going with PC which will give me 380 watts on a 55 gal 48x18x12. on the PC bulbs I have a choise of (3 65w) dual specturm daylight bulbs @ 10,000k and 6,700k ( Orbit SunPaq PC)
    or (3 65w) daylight bulbs @ 10,000k (coralife lunar aqualight)
    and
    (3 65w) dual spectrum actinic bulbs @ 460nm and 420nm or (3 65w) actinic 03 bulbs
    what is the difference between actinic 03 and regular actinic
    also is there should you use a ratio of 50/50 daylight to actinic ?
    2) Outside of LFS where does everyone purchase their LR from ? any recommendations?

oh yeah, do you see any problems with the wattage (380w) that should give me 6-7 w/gal ... no? :huh:
    thanks in advance...
    all the best
    Chuck

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Welcome Chuck. :)

I'd go with the second lighting option with the 10ks and blues. I am not sure but I think 03 actinics are considered 'true actinics' due to their spectrum.

6-7 watts per gallon is high but should be fine. You'll be able to keep anything with that.

There are some old threads on these boards about live rock that people ordered over the net if you search. I can't help much there cuz I made mine.

Good luck!

matt

4. allaboutfish37

allaboutfish37 Feather Duster

HI I got 280lbs from this site http://www.liveaquaria.com/FFExpress/
    really good deal on line I save alot from them..I like the second light option..I don't like 50/50 but maybe you will :-/

5. mikeb

mikeb Flamingo Tongue

Chuck, I have a 55 gal as well and have been using the Coralife lunar aqualight with two 65w actinic and two 65w 10,000k (about 4.7 watts per gallon). It's been working great for me. Excellent coral growth as well as coralline algae.