Asking for more lighting advice :)

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by oldfishkeeper, Aug 24, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

Hello All. I currently have a 54 gallon corner tank with no top and a power compact hood with 2 55 watt 50/50's. I would really like to keep an anemone and I know I need more light. What would you all recommend that I could do to add to my current set up to make this work? I'm not a good DIYer and I've been reading about LED lighting and I find all of the terms very confusing. Any and all suggestions appreciated!!

2. Click Here!

3. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

You might want to check out the Taotronics LED fixture (sold on eBay). It's a reasonably priced, ready-to-run unit that seems to be getting a lot of good reviews from fellow 3Reefers.

A 4-lamp T5HO with high-end bulbs like ATI would also support an anemone in that tank.

4. oldfishkeeper

I was looking and what about an LED strip light? It looks they are available with mounting hardware that you can put in an existing fixture? Any thoughts on this and/or do you know a reasonably priced place to find them?

5. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

Generally any of the led strip lights are just for supplementing exsisting lights for color puprposes. I would go with one of the choices that Mr. Bill suggested too.

6. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

I believe the strip lights you're referring to are intended for accent lighting,they contain small 1watt leds and lack the intensity that you need for your nem and many other corals.The Taotronics fixtures have the intensity you would need as would the fixtures sold by reef breeders.com.One of the dimmable ones would be best as a 120 fixture at full power could be a little too much for a 54 .

7. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Whats your budget, but 2 options if you're wanting on the low end are and not a DIYer

par 30/38bulb from rapidled.com or boostled.com about $70-80 I think. 1 may be enough to start with, but 2 would be better as a supplementation

or for $200 get reefbreeders.coms value fixture

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. oldfishkeeper

Thank you all for the advice.