Resolved Asap asap power out

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by JJL, Oct 30, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. catchprj

catchprj Astrea Snail

As I suggested earlier, just try to keep things warm any way possible, but when the weather clears, buy a cheap generator!!

I can sympathize - we have had many power outages this year due to >7500 earthquake aftershocks and every outage had me stressing about my tank (and losing most of my livestock).
    I bought an 800W generator for $150NZD (~100USD) and it has relieved all stress regarding power outages. It hardly uses any fuel and not enough to most household items, however most aquarium items are low wattage so it works fine. I have all my essential power cords labelled with red tape (heaters, powerheads and return pump) so that when the power goes out, I plug all the red-taped cords into my generator and don't have to worry at all about my livestock.

When I consider that my single surviving fish cost $190NZD, the generator was pretty cheap!
    I guarantee you won't regret the purchase

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

how is the tank? did you get your power back on yet?

1 person likes this.
  4. smackrock

smackrock Coral Banded Shrimp

I feel your pain, going on almost 6 days without power in CT here. Luckily I have a generator, but still a pain in the neck to keep it going all day when I have to work and such. In cold weather even a large tank can drop 1 degree an hour so its difficult to be without power for very long at all.

I'm looking to invest in a natural gas generator that automatically turns on. That will put me at ease, even for 3 grand, worth it.

1 person likes this.
  5. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

Yes I did 8)
    Thanks for asking. Every inhabitant in my tank is actually doing pretty well now. The xenia and the zoas are a little shaken up, but they will recover with time. Thanks for the help everybody! I will be posting a thread about the equiptment that saved my tank shortly. Thanks again everybody! K+ to all!

1 person likes this.
  6. Larkin

Larkin Astrea Snail

Awesome news! Glad to hear things are looking up for you and your tank.