Resolved Asap asap power out

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by JJL, Oct 30, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

Thanks everybody: POWER BACK ON! 8) Most corals look fine, clownfish look fine, xenia looks awful. Any tips for the xenia, will it survive or is it a goner?

2. Click Here!

3. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

As a veteran of many hurricanes I feel your pain bro. The first time this happened to me all I could think to do was use a hand powered bicycle pump(which is all I had). I put a pin on it(the kind used to blow up footballs) added a piece of airline tubing and airstone and presto instant air pump. Only problem was I would have to go in once every half hour or so and pump it a few times. It did work however and I was able to keep my fish alive for a week. As soon as power came back I invested in a good battery operated one though. Looks like some good suggestions for temp I suppose if you have a gas powered grill you could use it to heat up some water.Good luck.

2 people like this.
  4. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

Thanks Again for the tips... Power is back out i have no idea how that happend. Any more suggestions?

5. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

so for next time: get a deep cycle battery that is somewhere around 18 or 20 amp hours. then get a power inverter and hook it to the battery and plug in your heaters.
    you will have power for a few hours this way depending on how large your heaters are.

cost- approx $40-50

1 person likes this.
  6. suckafish

suckafish Montipora Capricornis

This was what I first thought of. maybe a propane space heater close to the tank, not directly on it but placed where some heat is abosbed my by the glass/plexi....

1 person likes this.
  7. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

Update: Power still out. Have a battery crank generator that you could also plug in for energy storage. I plugged it in at my friends house and i have a heater hooked to it. I dont know how long it is going to last... Very upset tank is not looking good. Very cold and i have a propane heater near the tank. I also am adding warm water to the tank every few hours. It kills me that there is not much else i can do.Wish me luck. Sorry for any grammar errors, typed on a phone in the dark.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Bummer man, power out again? Sorry for all your troubles. I hope things will pull through for you. Many suggestions have been made, more than I could think of. lol I would just keep doing what you are...

1 person likes this.
  10. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

Yup power went back out about an hour after it came on....

11. Jodah

Jodah Feather Duster

I can only guess how long before someone buys a generator. Lol. But on a serious note, the hand warmer idea, the propane heater (watch that CO level! ) as well as all the other ideas were great. But, this is one of those things you have to plan for instead of being forced to react to. New England is a rough place during winter time. Heck, harbor freight was selling some basic ones for like $100 bucks. My buddy has one, runs it all the time. Great little unit for these occasions.

A great adage my father, and many other people have said: Make a plan, or plan to fail.

1 person likes this.
  12. brunoboarder244

brunoboarder244 Torch Coral

ive heard of heating water in a pot over a flame or watever you can and then put water in water bottles and float them in the tank to raise temperature

1 person likes this.