Resolved Asap asap power out

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by JJL, Oct 30, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

MY power is out from the snow and has been for about one day. It is very cold in the house... About 60 degrees... Suggestions please. Will my tank be ok? I have a baalttery powered ar pump. Thanks JJL

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. mra

mra Plankton

I can't seee where your from but, I lived in PA for 5 years. can you get your fire place working and raise the temp to 70 min.

1 person likes this.
  4. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

The air pump will be a big help but the temp drop will be rough for the tank... Do you have any access to a small generator to power you heater and maybe pump for a bit? How long has the power been out?

1 person likes this.
  5. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

I'm sorry to here that. How big is your system? And can you see tank temp? When power was out for me for a couple days I bought a power inverter for a car and pulled the battery out of my car and ran a pump like that. I don't know how long it will last for a heater though especially depending on size of heater and pump...also make sure you got a way to start the car if said battery drains. I pulled the battery out of a manual car so I could compression start it if need be.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

1 person likes this.
  6. catchprj

catchprj Astrea Snail

I have found that wrapping your tank in a blanket helps to keep it warm for a bit longer.
    If you have access to anything warm, float it in the tank eg. bottles of warm water (if you have a fireplace to heat the water on).
    Give the water an occasional stir with a jug, or your hand just to help circulate the oxygen that your air pump is supplying.

Cross your fingers for the power to come back on!

1 person likes this.
  7. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

Ok i have it wrapped in blankets already, but te roads are awful so i cant get an inverter... I will try stirring and heating water. Thansk so much everybody. Any. Other suggestions? J

8. Click Here!

9. Coral_Greef

Coral_Greef Astrea Snail

I have a 65 gallon with fish and coral. Same problem, bee out for over 24 hours and looks like most of the week ill be in trouble. I have covered in a bunch of blankets (less stressful for fishes in the dark and therefore consume less oxygen). I have a gas stove so can get it going with a lighter and boil water and float in the tank to help with temp. Temp has gone from 79 to 61 overnight, which is terrifying, and im going to have to keep up religiously. Going to buy a battery operated airstone of some sort, in the meantime ive been using a large pitcher to scoop water out and dump it back in from a foot above the tank or so a couple times a day to try to aerate the tank as much as possible.

I think the key is keeping a close eye on it and creating the least amount of stress as possible so they relax and dont consume too much oxygen.

1 person likes this.
  10. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

Sounds good! Thanks for sharing what your doing. In down to 54. Very scary.

11. Coral_Greef

Coral_Greef Astrea Snail

I've heard stirring doesnt do much besides agitate the fish. I would try a clean bucket and dumping water from the tank back into it. Im sure opinions to the contrary are out there but this is just my experience.

12. Pastey

Pastey Ritteri Anemone

If you have any of the hand warmer things, you can put them in ziplock bags, activate them and then throw them in the tank.

1 person likes this.