As reefers, concering RO water specifically, are we wasteful?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Brandon1023, Jan 27, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

My last house was built on solid clay soil for the most part so it held a lot of water (clay soil holds water, while sandy soil doesn't). I had a sump pump in the crawl space under the house with a little ditch dug around it so that all the water coming up from the ground or surface ran to the sump pump which then pumped it out into the yard so that it didn't stand in the crawl which would cause mold & swelling of my floor joist.

2. Click Here!

3. IBMGeek

IBMGeek Montipora Digitata

I think I did a thread like this about a year ago. I am currently using the water for laundry. I'm guessing detergent or bleach takes care of all the garbage in the waste water. ;)

4. bmshehan

I saw that thread and it is what gave me the idea for using my wastewater for laundry as my RODI is in the laundry room. But like I said it was $20-$30 for the fittings and since 10,000 gal of water costs around $1.50 I couldn't justify it.

5. IBMGeek

IBMGeek Montipora Digitata

$20-30 for what fitting? My rodi is right above my washer so the line goes right inside ;D. But if you dont use it for laundry at least run the line to the garden or something.

6. bmshehan

For a T in the wastewater line and a valve to turn the washer line on and off. I would want the option of filling the washer or running it through the drain so these fittings would be necessary. My line is currently shoved in with the washer drain so it is too tight to remove it when I want to fill the washer up. My city sits on a HUGE aquafer so water is cheap here compared to some parts of the country!

7. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Certain ones don't. But my understanding is that the only household filter that is worth while for this hobby is the kold sterile. But at 4-5X the price of an RO/DI unit, its still a little out of my budget. But someday I'll be getting one. The DI only machines and pre-bottled DI water measure out a lot more on the TDS meter than the way I treat my tap, so I skip over those.