As reefers, concering RO water specifically, are we wasteful?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Brandon1023, Jan 27, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

For large ro/water use I.E. Water changes. I have 2 valves that stop it from going down the drain and open the other to fill 5 gallon drinking water bottles. Its not RO but it is already passed through the sediment and carbon filters of the RO/DI unit. That is what most of the under sink water filter kits you buy at Lowes and Home Depot ayway. So on my bi-weekily water changes, we get free drinking water to last a couple of weeks in our dispenser!!!

2. Click Here!

3. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

Ah well it's nice to learn that the water down the drain is recycled. That does ease my mind a bit on the subject.

4. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

I believe that falls into the category of "that was then, this is now".

5. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Yeah, I wouldn't do that adventure today! But the storm drains still dump directly into the lake without treatment.

I think a lot of folks think those storm drains are the same drains for your sinks and toilets (in some places, they might be, dunno). But they're usually not, at least in this area of the world. They're just there for rain water removal.

6. bbsbliss

bbsbliss Ritteri Anemone

I have well water. (Not good for aquariums, but I've been drinking it all my life and I don't have a third eye yet.) I get my RO from the grocery in refillable 5 gal. jugs, and they actually have the FDA stickers on their RO unit, so I assume they have to change their filters, etc. I have no idea where their waste water goes- maybe back into my well?

7. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Let me understand this before I say anything ? But The way I understand what you are saying it is you take the discharge water from the R/O housing and fill water bottles with it then maybe run that through a sediment and carbon filter and then you drink this ? Tell me I'm misundersyanding you..

8. Click Here!

9. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

I was going to put a T in my drain and a valve so I could fill my washer every time I made water but the fittings were over 20 bucks and since water is only $1.50 here per 1,000 gallons I decided it wasn't economical!

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  10. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Maybe you will get rusted colored cloths ? every mineral metal and dissolve solid that is in drinking water is concentrated 10 fold and is in that rejection water simple do a few water test on some.. Not a good as the washer will most likely suffer also from seal abrasion and or pump failure ?

11. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

Tangster--is not the rejection water from the ro membrane the water that has already been filtered through the first sediment filter, then the carbon filter, before it ever enters the ro membrane housing? (This is to protect the ro membrane). So is this not at least 2 steps better than the tap water we would drink?? The waste water as they call it is not strictly polluted with TDS. Alot of it is because you cant push 65psi of water through the membrane that fast. True??? This is how I percieved the system to work. However I will comence a TDS on the Tap water vs The sediment and carbon rejection water we have been using. BTW it does taste better than tap.

12. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Yes its is pre filtered But all the heavy metals and dissolved minerals and irons and what ever are simply concentrated and rejected as waste water . Souped up water pollution.. But hey drink it I'd rather drink rain water from a footprint myself at least its aerated and fresher and most differently diluted :) remeber that water has already been carboned and sand filtered before it left the water works .. That pre filter is not catching all the dirt even and look at its coloration.. Put a prefilter on your rejection outlet see what happens ):