Article on Pinched Mantle

Discussion in 'Clams' started by inwall75, Nov 24, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Source: Pinched Mantle Syndrome in Giant Clams

I've copied the first couple of paragraphs

Abstract
    Pinched Mantle Syndrome is a term used by marine reef hobbyists to describe a disease condition in the ornamental clam Tridacna crocea and Tridacna maxima. The disease causes localized mantle retraction, gaping, loss of coloration and, eventually, mortality. A Perkinsus olseni-like protozoan has been identified as a possible cause of the disease. Based on this preliminary work, histopathology is the preferred method to confirm the presence of the parasite within the tissue of Tridacna crocea.

Introduction

Pinched Mantle Syndrome is a term used in the vernacular of the marine aquarium trade to describe a localized retraction of the mantle in the species Tridacna crocea and Tridacna maxima. It is a descriptive term and may not be pathopneumonic (pathogen-specific) for a disease syndrome that ultimately leads to the death of the clam if not treated. (More details regarding treatment, below)

The genus Tridacna contains 5 species of more or less commercial importance (Knop, 1996). All are found in the warm waters of the Indo-Pacific from east Africa to the Indian subcontinent, southeast Asia through Indonesia, northern Australia and the Great Barrier Reef, and into Polynesia. The IUCN (International Union for the Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources) lists them, depending on species, as lower risk to vulnerable. They have been used as a food source for millennia, and are aquacultured today for the Asian seafood market and for restocking depleted natural populations (Fatherree, 2006).

2. Click Here!

3. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Hey Inwall75. I have thought 1 of my Crocea's has had pinched mantel for quite some time now. I have seen no other signs of health issues. Am I safe to say then it;s not Pinched Mantel. I'll try and get a pic. Can I post it here?

4. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Sure

I'm sure someone will be able to tell.