Article on Grounding Probes... Agree?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Chad, Jan 3, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Chad

Chad Astrea Snail

Do you folks agree or disagree with this article, I found it interesting. I'm still undecided.

Aquarium Grounding Probes

2. Click Here!

3. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

I read that online and am in the same position as you... undecided. Although it is a good argument, I hear they are recomended by many professionals and LFS.
    What to do, up to you, I'm sure someone here will know more...

4. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

5. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

Pretty interesting. Idk if I agree but it's pretty convensing. I remember all that stuff from physics class and it all makes sence.

6. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

The assertion that, if something is leaking electricity it will stay in the vicinity of the object is absurd. The electricity goes out somewhere (in the water) and strays as water is a conductor. The straying electricity is the problem. A grounding probe routs the stray electricity out of the tank. Perhaps a current is formed, however, it is concentrated and directed now instead of stray. I believe fish know to stay out of the electrical current.

7. TritonsGarden

TritonsGarden 3reef Sponsor

8. Click Here!

9. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

Yes, I absolutely agree with this article. I have a Master's degree in electrical engineering and the article is correct. I use a grounding probe only for my own protection, not the inhabitants' protection. Placing a grounding probe in the tank does provide a current path exit for the tank and can induce more current in the tank. It also makes it the same voltage potential as hour house ground.

A ground probe, combined with a GFI outlet, will provide the aquariast and his/her family with the best protection possible. The GFI should respond as soon as something fails if a ground probe is used. Without a ground probe your GFI may not trip until somebody sticks their hand in the tank.

1 person likes this.
  10. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

There you go. I agree. I run both for this reason.

11. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

Fish are cheap. Protect yourself.

I had a pump that the insulation on the cord cracked. I juked myself real good. Run one all the time now.

12. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

I do not run a grounding probe.