Artemia cysts won't decapsulate

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by RichardinMa, Nov 16, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. RichardinMa

RichardinMa Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I tried decapsualting some Artemia this evening and it did not go so well. I am not sure what I may have done wrong and would appreciate any input from others that have had the same experience. The eggs I used are several years old but have been stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Hatch rate is pretty good even without decapsulation. I watched a few videos and read several websites that explain how to do this and it seemed relatively straight forward. What I did and what happened:

Using a 2-liter soda bottle style hatcher with aeration I filled the container up about half way with tap water. I added 1/8th of a cup of artemia cysts, turned on the pump and let them hydrate for about 2.5-3 hrs. I then drained off the majority of the water and added bleach at 2 times the remaining volume of water. I let the pump run and watched for color change. At around 3 minutes or so I noticed the cysts turn white. Within another 3 minutes or so I saw the color change back to a creamy brown, nearly the same color as it started. I left them in this solution for several more minutes. At around 10 minutes there was still no further color change even though there was now a foamy layer on the surface of the water, similar to a head on Guiness beer.

At this point I drained the cysts and rinsed them worried that I may just be misreading the color. After doing this I could see that the cysts still looked very much like round brown eggs. I then put them back into straight bleach and let them aerate even longer, some went as long at a half hour, but the cysts never went to orange. I don't understand what I may have done wrong. The bleach was not old. I wondered if perhaps the quantity of eggs was just too much for the amount of bleach but I would have thought that half an hour in straight bleach would have done something. Unfortunately I do not have a microscope handy to see the details of them at this point. I finally gave them a good final rinse and put the majority into a concentrated brine solution to store them in the fridge. I also put some back into a hatcher to see what kind of viability I have on this batch now.

Any ideas what went wrong?

Thanks