ARMAN DIY 60 cree led build (should i add cyan??)

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Arman2K, Feb 25, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Arman2K

Arman2K Coral Banded Shrimp

well all I can think of is the soldering core I using. Maybe it not right one for electric?

[​IMG]

what you guys used?

2. Click Here!

3. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

Your solder is fine for what we are doing.

To test a pair of LEDs, you need to connect the tester at opposite ends of the pair.
    battery - to LED - to LED + wire to LED - to LED + to battery +

much easier to with a pic, but alas, I am at work.
    When tested this way, both LEDs should light dimly. If only one lights up, then we have issues.

4. Arman2K

Well, I do that, NO LEDS light up.

1st led
    battery - to led -

[​IMG]

2nd led battery + to led +
    [​IMG]

Nothing light up. What going on, I am confused and frustrated.

Thanks,

5. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Are your screws causing a dead short?

If the head of those screws are touching the pads on the star, you've got a dead short (many times over). This is why people use nylon screws or a plastic washer under the head of the screw.

6. Arman2K

I removed 2 led that are wired together. And try , still not on.

[​IMG]

I don't know what I do wrong, only thing I think I can do is.. wire LED 1 + to LED 2 +, maybe that work? But on the instruction say, LED 1 + to LED 2 -, then LED 2 + to LED 3 -.. and so on.. that what I did..

7. Rapid LED

Rapid LED 3reef Sponsor

I've never tried lighting up two LEDs with that tester before, it's going to output 3V total so I'm not sure how much light (if any) you're going to get by lighting up 2 LEDs. Is there a reason why you're going with 2 LEDs instead of 1?

8. Click Here!

9. Arman2K

That reason why I test 2. I want see if I done my wired correctly.

Thanks, mike

10. Rapid LED

Rapid LED 3reef Sponsor

Hmmm.. if anything I'd take a 9V battery and try to wire up 3 LEDs (3V each), unless someone else here has successfully wired up 2 LEDs with the AA Battery tester (I'm not saying it's not possible, I just haven't done it before so I don't know for sure what'll happen).

11. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

OK... Dug deeper. The spec sheet for the new R5 shows a minimum forward Voltage of 2.7 Volts. It will not work with 2 of them with the newer LEDs.

As rapid suggested, try with 3 of them and a 9 Volt battery. Sorry for all of the confusion. Your wiring looks good so far.

12. element

element Fire Worm

Your solder has gone over to the star and off of the pad. That will short them out. Also, if the screws are touching the pad they will short. If you plugged in and one lit, the short is there and no voltage is moving past that point. You should use the solderless route. They have little stars that just bolt on at reefled. Don't feel bad, I lost half of mine the first time I did this. They are not easy to solder, and a 15amp iron or smaller is best. You can jump the rest of them with an ohm meter to find out how many you burt up.