Are urchins poisinous

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Puffer Chick, Feb 11, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

i noticed my blue tuxedo urchin was wearing my candy cane frag i went to take it off of him and his spikes poked me twice and i am bleeding and i get get him to unsuction off of the candy canes spot, i think i wont be affected by the injury but i just wanted to make sure, but my finger hurts where he poked me

2. Click Here!

3. patrick824

patrick824 Montipora Digitata

they are mildly poisonous try dipping your hand in very hot water for about 30 seconds (as hot as you can handle) the poison shouldnt do much harm but better safe then sorry! keep us updated good luck

4. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

as far as i know only the black long spine urchins are pousinous. but if he made you bleed i think it would hurt no matter what did it.

5. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

ok i just got done running my finger in hot water, and i think i might have his spikes in me, kind of like a bee sting, and i think that might be why its hurting

glad i dont have a black spine then

6. patrick824

the sting is similar to a bee sting. it is common for sting victims to have black dots on the puncture mark. dont ice it for now because that could accelerate the toxins (if any). drink some water and keep an eye on it. i think youll be fine PC you shouldnt worry.

1 person likes this.
  7. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

didnt know that ive never been stung by a bee before but i dont think im alergic to the bee stings but i guess this is what one would feel like.

yea im not too worried, just glad i have a blue tuexedo and not a black spine, funny thing is i have removed him from spots where i dont want him to be and did it without a problem i guess this time he was mad that i took the coral off of him, but he refuesed to come off the rock so right now i have the candy cane in a different spot

8. Click Here!

9. patrick824

seriously~!!

10. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

hahahahah my skin is sensitive, but i dont thin that sensitive :lol: i deal with my poisinous toads and i dont get any sort of reactions from them so i think i should be ok :D

11. patrick824

yeah im the same way with my foxface, i know he stings pretty bad but normally hes relaxed.

12. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

yea thats a good thing id hate to be stung by a foxface, my toads dont sting but they release toxins from their skin so i can get poisinous reaction that way from them