Are these levels ok?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by DaDaAtlanta, Oct 25, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. DaDaAtlanta

DaDaAtlanta Feather Star

Calcium 540
    Magnesium 1425
    Alkalinity about 11
    ph 8.4 before lights out
    My Phosphates never get under 0.5 even though I run a phosphate reactor with seachem phosguard 24/7
    I have no nitrate test kit

2. Click Here!

3. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

4. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

Out of what you posted: Alk and PH seem a little high, not scary, just a little. Otherwise, all good.

1 person likes this.
  5. DaDaAtlanta

DaDaAtlanta Feather Star

Ammonia is 0. I use 2 part C-balance by 2 little fishies and I think I need to cut down or completely stop on dosing for a lil bit to bring everything back in range. I was just looking for confirmation that my Cal or Alk is no reason to panic . Thanks

6. Screwtape

Screwtape Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse

Looks just fine to me overall. I think your magnesium might be a little low for having such high calcium (have you doublechecked that calcium level?). The calcium is on the high end, with your magnesium where it is if you overdose even a little you will probably get a greater amount of precipitation. Also AFAIK having calcium higher than maybe 400 (360 is actually the number I've seen as the breaking point where coral calcification is impaired if it goes below that number) hasn't been proven to improve coral growth rate so there isn't much benefit to keeping it that high.

If it were me I would probably let my calcium drift down to the 400-450 range and keep everything else where it is.