Are peppermint shrimp reef safe?

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by sssnake, Jan 9, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. loneracer05

loneracer05 Clown Trigger

i dont have to many corals for them to nip on yet so im not to worried about that yet

2. Click Here!

3. BMXCLAY

BMXCLAY Purple Spiny Lobster

I have all soft corals and they never got near any them. They do like to mess with long tentacle anenomes though.

4. BC14

BC14 Plankton

VERY TRUE!!!
    I'm new to the site and saw this post when I was looking for some good photos of the different shrimp. Thought I'd post them here (see link below) for other people who are looking for the same information on the difference between the shrimp. I was sold a camelback and didn't know it, I never caught the little devil eating them but I couldn't figure out why my Zoas kept disappearing! now I know and I'd like to go back to the jerk that sold him to me and make him pay for all those frags. Even though this thread is old I found it and wouldn't have known what kind of shrimp I had if it wasn't for the post I quoted here.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.ph...11830425.85792.100000065863016&type=1&theater

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  5. wallstdrifter

wallstdrifter Flamingo Tongue

Not reefsafe

Peppermint shrimp are in fact NOT REEF SAFE. They will gouge out soft corals and wipe out apitasia when hungry. Keep them well fed or you will find out. They have nasty little food pickers.:eek::cry:

6. Nu-Nu

Nu-Nu Bubble Tip Anemone

Umm what? I have never had mine mess with any of my corals, and you WANT them to eat apista...

7. wallstdrifter

They ate 100% of my apitasia. OF COURSE you want that. And my tank was plagued by the apitasia (I have to be specific to avoid misinterpretation.)

They didn't stop there. They attacked and ate my arrow crabs and fungia plate. I grabbed the candy cane out of there claws before it was too late. My tank is screaming with health otherwise. Vermited snails, flatworms and bristleworms almost gone. SPS and LPS on fire. Phosphate 8 to 15 ppb, Nitrates not detectable.

Keep your peppermint shrimp fed or they will become NOT REEF SAFE>

8. Click Here!

9. element

element Fire Worm

I got 2 for the same thing, aptasia. They finished that then started on an open brain, then acans. They are dead now;D.

10. wallstdrifter

Tell that to Nu Nu. His peppermint shrimp DO NOT set the standard of conduct.:-X

11. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

+1,they devoured my frogspawn and hammer,both were large healthy colonies and the shrimp were definitely peppermints.They became puffer food(other tank).

12. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Mine ate all my maxi-mini :-(

And yes they got feed. Nasty little creatures.

1 person likes this.