Are peppermint shrimp reef safe?

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by sssnake, Jan 9, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sssnake

sssnake Montipora Digitata

I caught one having a feast on my candy cane....I don't think this is an isolated incident (or is it?).

I may have to move my candy cane to my main tank :mad:

2. Click Here!

3. dragonflylures

dragonflylures Flamingo Tongue

Yes they are supposed to be reef safe but if you see them eating on a candy cane then you just may have to monitor and move one or the other. Here's a quick rundown on them:

The Peppermint Shrimp is a very popular shrimp because of its desire to eat nuisance glass anemones (Aiptasia). The body of the Peppermint shrimp is fairly transparent with red stripes that run parallel along their body. These Shrimp are very easy to care for and prefer to be kept in groups. They should be fed daily and will not harm other shrimp. Peppermint Shrimp grow very quickly and will molt regularily. These Shrimp have been known to spawn in aquariums. They are a great addition to any tank. These are true Caribbean Peppermint Shrimp.

4. Dyngoe

Dyngoe Fire Worm

Sssnake, Peppermint shrimp should be 100% reef safe. I have never heard of one snacking on a coral. However, I have heard of idiots in LFS selling Camel shrimp as Peppermint shrimp. The look very similar when they are young. Camel shrimp are known to nip at soft corals. I don't know about candy canes in particular, but they ar LPS so it sounds possible.

5. jtReef

jtReef Ritteri Anemone

I'm just excite you were able to find yours. :)
    I put 5 in a 180 and didn't see them for over a week.
    Then at night I was able to find them but it was difficult.

6. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

For the most part Peppermint Shrimp are reef safe. It is said that Cleaner shrimp are more problematic than the Peppermint or Fire shrimp. However, I haven't had a problem with any of these shrimp as I have all three species in my tank together.

7. milesm4

milesm4 Spaghetti Worm

They are reef safe the only thing is you never really see them, mine only come out at night and are only visible when under the moon LED's. Be careful Camel shrimp aren't reef safe and are a pain to catch once they are put into a tank.

8. Click Here!

9. APC

APC Gigas Clam

I have one in my reef, and it seems to leave everything alone. I agree with everyone else, that you only see them at night. So it is not a really exciting addition to the reef, but it serves a purpose.

10. loneracer05

loneracer05 Clown Trigger

bringing back an old post :) i want to get a pep shrimp to eat some of my glass nems but im worried my fish will just take them as a snack....they eat white shrimp as soon as they hit the water but are leaving my cleaner shrimp alone. i have an 8 line Hawaiian wrasse,2 saddle back clowns,a small fox face, lawnmower blenny, and sleeper goby. this is in a 55 reef with 10 gal fuge

11. bsweezy

bsweezy Skunk Shrimp

i had one eat on my frogspawn so i got him out(30gal). now in my 160gal i have around 25 and they dont mess with anything. ill take a video of me feeding them and post it later. its crazy!

12. dreiling

dreiling Fire Shrimp

yes
    i have several